Spare as a permanent replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikemac846

Reaction score
My Raptor 802A package has a spare tire exactly like the tires being used. Beadlock and KO2.
Impressive they didn't cheap out on the spare. One of my wheels is scratched up pretty good.
My question is can I replace it with the spare permanently? There is a sticker on the spare that says "spare only" , but I'm telling you this is the same rim from what I can tell. Any thoughts on the matter? Do you think I can put the TPS sensor in the spare? thanks!

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you absolutely can use the spare as a permanent replacement. The only reason it is marked "spare only" is because it has no TPMS. Many people mount a TPMS to the spare and include it in their regular tire rotation.

T!

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Raptor 802A package has a spare tire exactly like the tires being used. Beadlock and KO2.
Impressive they didn't cheap out on the spare. One of my wheels is scratched up pretty good.
My question is can I replace it with the spare permanently? There is a sticker on the spare that says "spare only" , but I'm telling you this is the same rim from what I can tell. Any thoughts on the matter? Do you think I can put the TPS sensor in the spare? thanks!

I've been debating about doing this for exactly the same reason; the only downside is no TPMS unless you install it. Plus, most likely my spare wheel would get scratched up just as much., so little point. When I get new tires I will buy 5 and a TPMS unit so I can 5 tire rotate.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't believe Ford won't pony up the couple dollars to have a TPMS sensor in the spare AND have the pressure info available on the dash.

I wonder if Forscan has the ability to make that addition???????

Instead of rotating it through because it's such a PITA I was just figuring on only buying 3 on my first set of tire. Then putting the best take off tire on as the spare.

ewm98

Reaction score
I assume your still on stock tires in which case you might want to check the load rating of your spare. Mine was E rated while the stock tires are C rated. If they are different it might affect the ride slightly because only one of your four tires will be stiffer.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I assume your still on stock tires in which case you might want to check the load rating of your spare. Mine was E rated while the stock tires are C rated. If they are different it might affect the ride slightly because only one of your four tires will be stiffer.

Interesting. Wouldn't have even thought to check that.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Are you sure about that? I just checked mine, it's also a C range, but there is a small box near the rim with a letter E in it, but it's not labeled as the load range. Seems odd Ford would fit a different load range tire on the spare.

There's a whole section of TPMS settings in the BodyCM part of the Forscan spreadsheet:

726-40-01 x*xx xxxx xxxx TPMS Federal Regulation Cfg: 0=Europe, 1=North America
726-40-01 **** xxxx xxxx TPMS Number of Tires Cfg: 4=4 tires, 6=6 tires
726-40-01 xxxx **xx xxxx TPMS Placard Front Tire Pressure (convert p.s.i. to hex)
726-40-01 xxxx xx** xxxx TPMS Placard Rear Tire Pressure (convert p.s.i. to hex)
726-40-01 xxxx xxxx x*xx TPMS Reassignment Enable Cfg: 0=disable, 1=enable
726-40-02 x*xx xxxx xxxx TPMS Sensor AutoRange Cfg: 0=off, 1=on
726-40-02 **** xxxx xxxx TPMS Sensor LoHi Cfg: 0=High, 1=Low
726-40-02 xxxx x*xx xxxx TPMS Sensor Type Cfg: 0=MY06, 1=MY09, 2=MY15
726-40-02 xxxx **** xxxx TPMS Auto Learn Enable Cfg: 0=off, 1=on
726-40-02 xxxx xxxx x*xx TPMS Auto Locate Cfg: 0=disable, 1=enable

I just haven't had time to play around with them. I wonder what would happen if you set 726-40-01 to xxx5-xxxx-xxxx and tried a 5-tire configuration. If anyone here is brave enough to try it please post your result. 6-tire config must be for the duallys. I wonder if the program would even accept an odd-number in that field. Hmm, there's a thought, a 5-wheel Raptor. I imagine if we set this to 6 we'd get a 'permanent' TMPS error as the system wouldn't read the 6th sensor and therefor set a fault code.

My settings (factory default)
726-40-01 0104 2626 01C0 I may try changing this to 0105 2626 xxxx (the program will set the check digits). Hope I don't 'brick' my truck. I'll back up the original of course.

726-40-02 0101 0201 0175 Don't see any needed changes here.

I believe with my settings, (reassignment enable, auto learn and auto locate to on/enable), you can put a sensor in the spare and use it in a rotation. Couple of people in another thread I was in some time ago did this (put a sensor in the spare), just mounted it and drove it and had a reading w/in a few minutes. Personally would prefer to do this (5-tire rotation) myself to extend mileage of the tires as much as possible, and just get a new set of 5 when ready to keep them all matched. The OP in the other tread bought a sensor off Amazon (maybe eBay, I forget), and had discount tire install it. Even if you have a sensor in all 5, the dash display only shows the 4 mounted to the corners, not the spare (per the previous thread, haven't validated this myself or seen what happens w/changes to 726-40-01).

Peeking at my spare, it's a load range C just like the other 4.

ewm98

Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I just checked mine, it's also a C range, but there is a small box near the rim with a letter E in it, but it's not labeled as the load range. Seems odd Ford would fit a different load range tire on the spare.

There's a whole section of TPMS settings in the BodyCM part of the Forscan spreadsheet:

726-40-01 x*xx xxxx xxxx TPMS Federal Regulation Cfg: 0=Europe, 1=North America
726-40-01 **** xxxx xxxx TPMS Number of Tires Cfg: 4=4 tires, 6=6 tires
726-40-01 xxxx **xx xxxx TPMS Placard Front Tire Pressure (convert p.s.i. to hex)
726-40-01 xxxx xx** xxxx TPMS Placard Rear Tire Pressure (convert p.s.i. to hex)
726-40-01 xxxx xxxx x*xx TPMS Reassignment Enable Cfg: 0=disable, 1=enable
726-40-02 x*xx xxxx xxxx TPMS Sensor AutoRange Cfg: 0=off, 1=on
726-40-02 **** xxxx xxxx TPMS Sensor LoHi Cfg: 0=High, 1=Low
726-40-02 xxxx x*xx xxxx TPMS Sensor Type Cfg: 0=MY06, 1=MY09, 2=MY15
726-40-02 xxxx **** xxxx TPMS Auto Learn Enable Cfg: 0=off, 1=on
726-40-02 xxxx xxxx x*xx TPMS Auto Locate Cfg: 0=disable, 1=enable

I just haven't had time to play around with them. I wonder what would happen if you set 726-40-01 to xxx5-xxxx-xxxx and tried a 5-tire configuration. If anyone here is brave enough to try it please post your result. 6-tire config must be for the duallys. I wonder if the program would even accept an odd-number in that field. Hmm, there's a thought, a 5-wheel Raptor. I imagine if we set this to 6 we'd get a 'permanent' TMPS error as the system wouldn't read the 6th sensor and therefor set a fault code.

My settings (factory default)
726-40-01 0104 2626 01C0 I may try changing this to 0105 2626 xxxx (the program will set the check digits). Hope I don't 'brick' my truck. I'll back up the original of course.

726-40-02 0101 0201 0175 Don't see any needed changes here.

I believe with my settings, (reassignment enable, auto learn and auto locate to on/enable), you can put a sensor in the spare and use it in a rotation. Couple of people in another thread I was in some time ago did this (put a sensor in the spare), just mounted it and drove it and had a reading w/in a few minutes. Personally would prefer to do this (5-tire rotation) myself to extend mileage of the tires as much as possible, and just get a new set of 5 when ready to keep them all matched. The OP in the other tread bought a sensor off Amazon (maybe eBay, I forget), and had discount tire install it. Even if you have a sensor in all 5, the dash display only shows the 4 mounted to the corners, not the spare (per the previous thread, haven't validated this myself or seen what happens w/changes to 726-40-01).

Peeking at my spare, it's a load range C just like the other 4.

My spare is a load range E. I checked when I purchased new tires to verify. Others on here have said their spare was an E range as well. I wonder though if it has something to do with beadlocks vs non. I had the standard non-beadlock capable wheel from the factory. Maybe it makes a difference or maybe it is a 17 vs 18 difference. I was simply saying that he might want to verify that it’s the same load range before putting it in rotation since mine and others were not.