Southern Utah

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Got any suggestions for easyish half day trails by the south entrance to zion? Taking my out there this coming weekend and I'm trying to find some scenic trails that won't beat them up too much. Thanks in advance!
Get off at the Lodge Tram stop, cross the road and then over the bridge you can walk along the River and up to Emerald Pools if they have opened the upper and lower. One of my favorite strolls, is the Last tram stop. The walk takes you along the River to the start of the Famous NARROWS Hike. Carry some water shoes and go up into the Narrows as far as your comfortable with going. Keep in mind the water will be “Chilly” but if it’s a hot day they will love it. Just those 2will take up the day

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking down on Angels Landing. It’s the only way to Observation Point. The Trail up from the Valley has been blocked by a Rock Slide for the past few years. The Road to this trail head can be impassable when wet. I barely made it in/out in the Raptor. I thought I was going to have to break out the MAXTRAX :)View attachment 166673

Ange's Landing!! (The spec going up the ridge is my wife).

Still one of the most memorable outdoor adventures is deciding the night before to hike The Narrows upstream in February with water at 30-deg and 124 cu/in in some places.

Zion012.JPG

Nick9323

Reaction score
Get off at the Lodge Tram stop, cross the road and then over the bridge you can walk along the River and up to Emerald Pools if they have opened the upper and lower. One of my favorite strolls, is the Last tram stop. The walk takes you along the River to the start of the Famous NARROWS Hike. Carry some water shoes and go up into the Narrows as far as your comfortable with going. Keep in mind the water will be “Chilly” but if it’s a hot day they will love it. Just those 2will take up the day
Thanks man! I should have been more specific, my bad. Any specific off road trails around there you recommend?I know there are a ton of dirt roads, probably will try to do toquerville falls but wanted to see what else if highly recommended since we only have a short time out there. Definitely have some good hikes planned but gotta get the truck dirty while we are out there!

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Ange's Landing!! (The spec going up the ridge is my wife).

Still one of the most memorable outdoor adventures is deciding the night before to hike The Narrows upstream in February with water at 30-deg and 124 cu/in in some places.

View attachment 166739
A must do on your bucket list. Glad you guys loved it. I hope you rented the Dry Suits. It can be cold as a MF in Feb in the Narrows :) good thing was I’m sure is a LOT LESS folks to contend with ;)

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Thanks man! I should have been more specific, my bad. Any specific off road trails around there you recommend?I know there are a ton of dirt roads, probably will try to do toquerville falls but wanted to see what else if highly recommended since we only have a short time out there. Definitely have some good hikes planned but gotta get the truck dirty while we are out there!
The Falls are always fun, you might get some desert pin-striping on that one. It can get tight.
The Smith Mesa road,off of the KolobTerrace Rd is Fantastic.(imho, better than the falls) Warning, check the surface as you go. If it has been or getting wet it will change to Georgia Clay! Make sure you have the number to Winder Towing, Matt’s Off Road Recovery (YouTube) he pulls a lot of folks off there when it’s wet. Option- is to stay on Kolob Terrace road up to or past the Lake. Some great wheeling up there to with equally breathtaking sights.
Get the Benchmark Map for UT

0DCAFAD8-6E35-4825-9FD6-7E0446D850C7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
The Smith Mesa Loop will take up almost if not the entire day, especially with sight seeing stops to stretch the legs and photo ops around every corner.
Day 2 head up the Kolob Terrace Rd to the Reservoir. Take the Lava Point Overlook b4 getting to the Reservoir. The road is paved until the Reservoir, you will make MANY STOPS on the way up, scenery so beautiful, pictures don’t do justice. If you got an early start your 4x4 fun starts after the Reservoir. You can continue North to Cedar City or cut down to Kanneraville. Just make sure you HAVE TIME, not a place to try and figure out where your at in the dark. Lots of Social trails/roads.
Enjoy your trip, post some pics of your adventures;)

719EE65C-1DD0-4DAC-90B8-F2984B7DAE48.jpeg

748F6ED3-C1CF-4EDF-99E3-F87D823693D1.jpeg

67FF5317-A609-4A37-94CC-749CA0883275.jpeg

4B39F3EA-8E35-4E37-AE73-E24A4A29A761.jpeg

DA9E2E13-3D9A-474A-8F61-371F99D2AD5D.jpeg

Nick9323

Reaction score
The Smith Mesa Loop will take up almost if not the entire day, especially with sight seeing stops to stretch the legs and photo ops around every corner.
Day 2 head up the Kolob Terrace Rd to the Reservoir. Take the Lava Point Overlook b4 getting to the Reservoir. The road is paved until the Reservoir, you will make MANY STOPS on the way up, scenery so beautiful, pictures don’t do justice. If you got an early start your 4x4 fun starts after the Reservoir. You can continue North to Cedar City or cut down to Kanneraville. Just make sure you HAVE TIME, not a place to try and figure out where your at in the dark. Lots of Social trails/roads.
Enjoy your trip, post some pics of your adventures;)

View attachment 166781

View attachment 166782

View attachment 166783

View attachment 166784

View attachment 166785
Thanks and will do!