South Texas: Padre Island National Seashore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
The Padre Island National Seashore is 60 miles of beach located sound of Corpus Christi, TX. It is known for great fishing, and absolutely no development. Cell phones don't work, there are no lights, and lots of stars at night.

http://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm

Part of the beach is nicknamed big shell, because at one point the shells are, well. Big. As big as your fist. If your a sheller, this place is for you.

I have made several trips down there in the Raptor, its a blast. You need 4x4 for a few sections, (depending on the tide). Most of it is super fast. I've topped my truck out down there several times. That being said. The speed limit is 25mph on most parts. Although the only park employees I have seen down there are on Sea Turtle egg laying patrol.

Which is another cool thing, you can call the park and find out when they are scheduled to release sea turtle hatchlings, and actually go watch them release the baby turtles.

You are not allowed to drive on the dunes, and its a straight shot, (no twisty turny stuff). But its a really fun trip, and the beach is amazing down there.

Here is the truck at the Mansfield cut. This is as far south as you can go.

Some of the smaller shells, and the blue water.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks nice. How's the water temp? Is there much else to do down there aside from the bar thing?

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Water temp is 70-80 most of the year.

What do you mean by the bar thing? The national seashore is a national park. There isn't anything there except sand and water.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@trey, I think he meant sandbar.

@NoCa, South Padre Island is possibly the biggest vacation spot in Texas...

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I meant around the island. That's a long trip just to go to a coast when I have one right down the street. Basically are there any other points of interest around that area? I haven't lived in Texas since I was about 8, in Houston back when they had AstroWorld and Galveston was the closest beach scene.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I hope to do this trip this spring, will be a good one for the family.

Basically are there any other points of interest around that area? I haven't lived in Texas since I was about 8, in Houston back when they had AstroWorld and Galveston was the closest beach scene.
The beach in Galveston is not what it used to be. A lot of the sand has washed away in hurricanes (they have trucked some in) and the water is usually a muddy reddish mess full of seaweed and "sea fleas". Tough to enjoy when things are stinging / biting you. This part of the beach is very clean as is the water. Plus, no crowds :)

Sadly, Astroworld is an empty lot. They tore it down and sold off the rides several years ago. Now they use it as parking for Texans games.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I meant around the island. That's a long trip just to go to a coast when I have one right down the street. Basically are there any other points of interest around that area? I haven't lived in Texas since I was about 8, in Houston back when they had AstroWorld and Galveston was the closest beach scene.

Not on the national seashore. There are hotels, stuff for kids, fishing, etc. On the Corpus Christi part of the island, and in Port Aransas. The surf is ok, and the fishing is good. It's a good place to take a vacation if you live in Texas.

Kaiser, the beach is great for families, no people around, no cell phones for kids to txt on, generally you don't have to worry about your kids running free, the few people that are down there are fairly respectful of slowing down around camps.

Roc Nichols

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been going to big shell most of my life and Im 67. I have caught and released a lot of big sharks. right now is black drum season grab some shrimp or small crab and go have some fun. Remember there are no stores or clinics so take what you need and be careful in the dunes lots of Rattlers. start a fire and have a cold one and enjoy. I am going to beak my Raptor in ass soon as this virus crap is over.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you can visit South Padre Island. Drive North from SPI on the beach to the other side of the Mansfield cut. Great clean water and beach. Good restaurants and bars. Deep water and bay fishing. Lots of water sports, Waverunners etc. Visit SpaceX maybe watch a rocket launch.