Sound diagnosis (phaser? wastegate?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedPanda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May just be overly sensitive with all the cam phaser posts and issues I hear about, but I had the dealer perform 21B10 last month shortly after I purchased the truck and I feel like I'm hearing more 'rattle' noises.

First video here.
Cold start. With the headers and exhaust set up it's pretty loud at the beginning and I can't tell if there's a rattle in the first 1-3 seconds. However, after the engine is running for about a minute, I can hear some sort of rattle for about 2 seconds and then it disappears. You can hear it at 51 seconds in this clip. Anyone know what this is or if I should be concerned?

Second video is shorter clip here.
When car is idling and I blip the throttle, upon release of throttle I can hear 'ccssshh" rattle noise for a brief second as the RPM's drop. Is this something others have experienced?

May just be overthinking both things and need to go enjoy the truck, but with about 6 months left of powertrain warranty I want to get as much covered as possible.

Thanks guys and gals!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
1st vid doesn’t sound bad. Someone else posted a vid with a sound similar to the 2nd video previously, but theirs was worse. Not sure what it turned out to be, if anything.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Both videos sound normal. Cam phaser noise is not subtle, it’s an obvious diesel like 2-5 second rattle on cold start. You’re hearing the wastegate linkages and wastegates, which is perfectly normal.

REPTAR15

Reaction score
I recently bought a used 2017 Raptor and it has developed this rattle at about 60k mi.

So from what I’ve been researching for a month now is that the rattle typically only happens when the vehicle is cold due to oil settling at the bottom of the engine, and the rattle is caused by oil not reaching the timing chain or phasers by the time you throttle.

Have you found any fix? I know another owner had a similar issue and in his video he said the issue was resolved by him taking it to dealership and getting an updated tune. This issue is not normal.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently bought a used 2017 Raptor and it has developed this rattle at about 60k mi.
What is the maintenance history of the vehicle? Were all applicable recalls completed?
So from what I’ve been researching for a month now is that the rattle typically only happens when the vehicle is cold due to oil settling at the bottom of the engine, and the rattle is caused by oil not reaching the timing chain or phasers by the time you throttle.
That’s internet speculation from people who don’t understand engines; oil pressure reaches the heads within seconds. If there were a lack of oil pressure to the heads the engine would be damaged. Phasers do not need oil pressure on a cold start.

You can try checking the wastegate linkages through the fender wells while duplicating the concern to see if their movement matches the noise.
Have you found any fix? I know another owner had a similar issue and in his video he said the issue was resolved by him taking it to dealership and getting an updated tune. This issue is not normal.

Can you only hear the noise with the hood open and blipping the throttle? Or is it audible in the cabin during normal driving?

REPTAR15

Reaction score
Maintenance History: According to carfax it was routinely taken in for oil changes, only taken in twice for recalls. Once for a tailgate issue, and a door I think. Nothing about an updated tune.

I don’t think its the wastegate only cause I’ve heard the waste gate actuator rattle and I don’t mind that rattle too much, but I can hear this through the cabin. Attached is the wastegate rattle.

Although, I do hear it when blipping the throttle and while normal driving. But it weirdly only happens until the truck warms up. I know its hard diagnosing over the computer but you sound very knowledgeable to me and and help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4186.mov
    2.2 MB