Sony 700 watt amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstober

Reaction score
I have been researching upgrades to my 2011 raptors stereo. One bit of info that I haven't run across is a break down of watts per channel and how many channels the stock 700 watt Sony Amp has. Can someone elaborate?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the oem sony amp has 9 channels.

center
left and right tweeter
left and right front door
left and right rear door
dual voice coil for the sub

the 700watts is max power. on normal sony equipment their max power is 1/3 of the rms power. im guessing its not too far off with the oem amp. probably in the 250-300 watt range for the entire system. in reality, it isnt enough power and the amp being the crossover, you need to eliminate the crossover points. only way to really do that is to add a processor.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
first thing you have to understand is there is ZERO industry standard around power rating for an amp. 700watts, 7,000 watts. They can write what ever they want.

in reality, it is much closer to 13 watts a channel.

using simple"ohms law"...where Power (P) = Voltage (V) * Current (I)

12 volts * 20 amps (max fuze dedicated to stock audio system) = 240 watts.

240 / 9 channels = 26 watts @ peak output. Consider half that when running nominally.

Bottom line.....you can never have too much power. The reason factory radios sound like shit is because they have too little power and the amp goes into clipping which destroys speakers. the ****** stock speakers will play fine with more power, but engineers really dont understand how audio works and look to save money on drivers.

Too be clear....the amp is the weakest link, not the speakers.

Torquebeast

Reaction score
Figures, it’s not too bad but would be nice to add more power and the EQ is almost worthless. Too big of jump between adjusting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So how do you replace the speakers/amp/sub and keep nav voice? Pac AmpPRO/LC6I enough?
the bav voice plays through tbe front stage. not just the center channel speaker. so removing that speaker will not affect your oem features. i normally put a vhf speaker in there for the guys that put a bigger vhf radio in their truck.

the lc6i will work, however its is not the ideal piece to use. for some reason the integration with the sony/sync system isnt right. theres a distinct sound and distortion when using it. i tried back in 2013 on 4 different vehicles and 3 different lc6i and got the same result. same with the jl audio, rockford, etc..... ideally you would use a better sound processor, but if cost is an issue, the audio control piece will work.