something is vibrating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hear something coming from out side the truck, it resonance inside the truck at idle in gear ,at a stop. truck has full header exhaust, and only hear it at a stop,when i release the brake it stops,can't figure out where this is coming from, any suggestions would be great, my exhaust is not touching anything and is nice and tight,so its not that.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Does the exhaust run close to the gas tank? My plastic "skid plate" rattles when I close the rear doors... more often when its cold. I'd get underneath there and see if you can isolate it.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i found this answer on a BMW forum...the OP had the same exact problem as you.

I would not be too quick to blame the problem on the drive train. When the transmission is engaged and the car is being held with the brakes the engine is working moderately hard. Minor perturbations in the mixture (intake leak, failing CCV, aged pre-cat O2 sensors, etc) may cause partial misfires and vibration under those conditions. And failing motor or transmission mounts will transmit any engine vibration at idle into the car when loaded by the engine straining against the brakes.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you hear it relative to holding the brake, does it do this only when in Drive, or also in park/neutral?

Are you familiar with the hollow/tinny "echo" that long tube headers make when they're cold? Big, empty, cold pipe make a fair amount of ambient noise. Just loading/unloading the engine that small amount will make them change resonant frequencies. You should be getting a hollow resonance when the engine loads with your foot on the brake when in Drive.

superduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds crazy but worth a shot, I had a similar rattle. Would only do it in gear with my foot on the brake. Ended up being a rock on the top side of the gas tank "skid plate." Removed two bolts and slid the rock out.

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check your welds on the exhaust if there are any. Could've broke loose if it wasn't fused properly. Same thing happened with mine. It was tight but it broke where it was sleeved and was still in place.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
when i hear something start vibrating i just wait for her to finish or batteries to run out.

OP
OP
vipergts

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found the rattle

turned out to be the clamps on the exhaust, that hold the mid pipes to the frame mount were loose and rattling on the pipes, i guess when they installed the sw full dual set up, he really didn't make those bolts real tight they were just snug.easy fix on that deal, makes yeh nuts. so far so good, all quiet, i'm glad it wasn't my shaver.:waytogo:

Last edited: