Someone tried to steal my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020LeadFootFL

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does that mean every time you enter/exit the truck you first have to pull a key out of the bag to lock/unlock/start the truck?
Yes. The technique they use is called a Relay Attack. It’s easy to trigger the fob from inside the house and relay the signal to a transmitter near the vehicle. If you park outside a faraday bag or box is a must. The bags are cheap and they work as long as they are completely closed.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Owners are advised to test a device’s ability to block signals before using it, which they can do by standing next to their car and ensuring it doesn’t unlock.
Some manufacturers are also taking steps to ensure that their cars are safe from relay theft. Ford, for example, recently introduced a ‘sleep mode’ feature to its key fobs – ensuring they can’t be cloned and only work when the driver wants them to.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been burying my fobs 3 feet down in my back yard, then I lay a lead sheet over the top of the hole. So far it has worked, nobody has stolen my truck.

I'm wishing I just had a regular key.
Rolling it up in your tinfoil hat would work. Unless you need to dig that hole anyway ... Dexter. ;)

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these thieves disabling the GPS and cellular connections so the owner can't see where the vehicle is taken? Late model Fords seem to be odd choices to steal considering how simple it is to view their locations at any time.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these thieves disabling the GPS and cellular connections so the owner can't see where the vehicle is taken? Late model Fords seem to be odd choices to steal considering how simple it is to view their locations at any time.
Yes in say a carjack situation. But what happens when they steal it when there is a period of time between the theft and it is discovered stolen. The pros which steal them do not need a large amount of time to get the truck away, undercover and powered down.

nickdavis1

Reaction score
Surprised they didn't take the truck in seconds. They seem to be stolen all the time in San Antonio. They just punch out the lock on the driver side and gain access. Did the same similar hack with the GEN1 and GEN2. About the best deterrent you can do is purchased a passenger side handle and put it on the driver side so there is no key hole to punch out. The two raptor shops in San Antonio, Alamo Truck Gear / Line-X do this install on raptor's all the time for customers.
Then no key code lock entry... I like to lock my truck with engine running when I run in the store for 2-3 minutes yes watching my surroundings keeping an eye on my truck an not being slow or small detours criminals I’m 6’2 215 presence go’s quiet a way in Northern California. Of course size don’t mean much if ur soft. Might do the passenger door handle thing good info