Someone scratched up the corner of my rear bumper. Can I just buy a new end cap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of my neighbor across from me back into my 2017 the other day. Luckily there is no damage to the body panels, but she did put a slight scratch on my tail light and scratched up the driver side end cap. The local body shop can't even give me an estimate unless I go online and wait a few days. He did take a quick look and he said it may just be a part that comes finished and my not even require paint, but they would need my truck for 25 days! No thanks. Has anyone replaced this part. Does it come already finished?IMG_3324.jpg

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you should be able to buy that piece and it should come prepainted. you could probably swap it yourself if you have the time and the tools. I'm surprised the shop would keep it for 25 days for that. It'd be just a day job but we couldn't get to it until January lol.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of my neighbor across from me back into my 2017 the other day. Luckily there is no damage to the body panels, but she did put a slight scratch on my tail light and scratched up the driver side end cap. The local body shop can't even give me an estimate unless I go online and wait a few days. He did take a quick look and he said it may just be a part that comes finished and my not even require paint, but they would need my truck for 25 days! No thanks. Has anyone replaced this part. Does it come already finished?View attachment 378756
I'm sure ebay would be cheap.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the tools and ability, just wanted to know for sure if it is already finished. I replaced a scratched up fender flare and that was already finished, but that is a plastic piece. I see some aftermarket "black" ones on eBay for like $140, but the OEM is $418 at Tasca. Mine doesn't look "black" though, more like the magnetic metallic gray.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the tools and ability, just wanted to know for sure if it is already finished. I replaced a scratched up fender flare and that was already finished, but that is a plastic piece. I see some aftermarket "black" ones on eBay for like $140, but the OEM is $418 at Tasca. Mine doesn't look "black" though, more like the magnetic metallic gray.
I personally would refrain from aftermarket. They fit horribly and are probably not painted as well.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems my best bet is to find a body shop that will remove and repaint these. I was hoping to save some money but looks like the paint is J7 Magnetic, like the flares.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my left end cap (2017 Raptor) after a very similar incident.

It’s easy to do in the driveway/garage. They come prepainted. I bought mine off the garage sale section here. The rear sensors pop out and pop back in.

Often times people are replacing rear bumpers with aftermarket.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my left end cap (2017 Raptor) after a very similar incident.

It’s easy to do in the driveway/garage. They come prepainted. I bought mine off the garage sale section here. The rear sensors pop out and pop back in.

Often times people are replacing rear bumpers with aftermarket.
So you can confirm that the genuine ford parts came painted in the Magnetic metallic?

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive it hardly offroad and forget that !!! I joke, you will manage to mend that easily
Yeah it's not that big of a deal, but someone else did this to my truck and they, or their insurance, is going to pay for it. I am just trying to find out if I can just swap out parts or if I have to have them painted. I am not going to leave my truck with the shop for 25 days no matter what. She wants to pay cash and not go through insurance. I have a quote of $1250 to repair it and she is ready to pay. I'm trying to figure out if I can just swap out the parts, pay a mom and pops shop to paint them for me, or maybe even just buy an aftermarket rear bumper.