Some mutherf***** tried to steal my truck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Friend of mine was just down in Florida with his '21 Ram 3500 HD and had it stolen from the hotel parking lot. They checked the video.

- Someone pulls up in another pickup alongside the 3500
- Sits there doing something inside for about 11 minutes
- Next thing you know, the lights blink on the 3500 like the doors weere being unlocked by the key
- Guy gets out of the truck and opens the door to the 3500, starts her up, drives away

I guess some sort of software programming of the 3500 owners key that may have been within range?

I dont know. Scary **** though.
So much for the manufacturers advertising that all the vehicles come with immobilizers, what a joke. Only keeps your 5 year old from stealing it.

OP
OP
JohnyPython

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Friend of mine was just down in Florida with his '21 Ram 3500 HD and had it stolen from the hotel parking lot. They checked the video.

- Next thing you know, the lights blink on the 3500 like the doors weere being unlocked by the key
- Guy gets out of the truck and opens the door to the 3500, starts her up, drives away

I guess some sort of software programming of the 3500 owners key that may have been within range?

I dont know. Scary **** though.
The scumbags copied the frequency on the fob.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The scumbags copied the frequency on the fob.
Yup. It's the owner's fault, too. He missed the fine print in the second addendum to the manual, page 847, where they warned him to keep his fob in a Faraday cage. I'd say I was eager for the automotive industry to go all biometric and go to retina scans, but they'd probably put my eye out because Chinese scab software and low quality Chinese lasers.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

any idea how far away from the truck he was? I guess I could understand if he was on the ground floor, next to it --OR-- someone left a fob in the truck.

but this shouldn’t be possible a few floors up though ( fob replicating ) right?

How the actual **** do you prevent this?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How the actual **** do you prevent this?
A Faraday cage, which blocks radio signals. A metal box with a tight fitting lid. A cocktail shaker would work. Or an envelope made from conductive mylar. I buy tea from Upton and it comes in that type of bag. I've tested my phone inside one and it can't pick up a cell tower, much less a GPS satellite. I don't know if it's enough attenuation to kill the fob signal, but probably. You could also just wrap your fob in tinfoil. I'm glad I have a key. Maybe in 2023 a key will be an extra cost option. :(