Solution for rattle over sharp edged bumps from center console area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like hell. We wouldn’t be caught dead with boat anchor sounds being piped in.

And everyone knows it’s to keep the n00b truck drivers calm in line at starbucks.
let me rephrase that. they all came oem with it. what you did/do afterwards, may change.

on a side note, i got tired of the 3.5 sound so i went as far as getting a v8........oh wait. nevermind. never got rid of my poverty gen 1.

if you guys need help, i can record my engine noise in hi res audio, that way you can play it in your stereo, that you so graciously paid me $15k to install.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Appreciate the offer. Don’t need it though.

stereo is locked on ‘Woke up this morning’ / Alabama3. (the intro to The Sopranos).

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
let me rephrase that. they all came oem with it. what you did/do afterwards, may change.

on a side note, i got tired of the 3.5 sound so i went as far as getting a v8........oh wait. nevermind. never got rid of my poverty gen 1.

if you guys need help, i can record my engine noise in hi res audio, that way you can play it in your stereo, that you so graciously paid me $15k to install.
Please make the recording. We need to remember the thunder. I send my son a clip of my two stroke dirt bike to remind him real men ride two strokes.

DFWRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been driving myself nuts the last few weeks trying to find a rattle I was sure was coming from my center console. I took everything out of the center console, that wasn't it. Emptied the glove box, nope, not from there either. Worked my way around the console trying to pull and move things when I went over bumps, no help there either. I was going to pull the center console apart tomorrow.

Today I was making a very sharp turn into a drive through and for some reason when I hit a bump, this time the rattle sounded more like it came from farther over by my front passenger seat. I knew there was nothing stored under it. I slapped the seat like a big fat bit ches ass and sure enough I heard the rattle! I reached under the passenger seat while I was in line and immediately felt the plastic U shaped piece that holds the front of the seat cover to the seat frame was detached and hanging loose. It took me 3 minutes to fix it when I got home. :banana-mario:

I'm assuming it was never attached right when it was built and worked it's way loose. I only have 12,000 miles on it. You just have to give it a 1/2 rotation wrap and work it back onto the metal seat frame edge.

I'm hoping this thread might make it a little easier on guys like me that can't stand rattles and can't find it. I would have sworn it was coming out of the center console. I think my head would have exploded if I had pulled the console all apart and the rattle was still there! :893karatesmiley-thu

DUDE!!! Are you talking about this part pictured? I am getting a rattle like you wouldn't believe - sometimes it sounds like the back of the truck.

IMG_2683.jpg

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
DUDE!!! Are you talking about this part pictured? I am getting a rattle like you wouldn't believe - sometimes it sounds like the back of the truck.

View attachment 401977
Yep, I think that's it, a little hard to tell for sure in the pic. It's a bitch to look under there, let alone get a good pic! It is the u shaped plastic channel on the front/forward most edge of the seat cover for the seat bottom. It will clip/attach the seat cover to the very front of the metal seat frame. I also found out a month ago that the reason it's popped off several times is because there is a piece of that channel that broke off. I actually just got a call yesterday from the dealer, that the new seat cover arrived, and we made an appointment in 2 weeks to have it put on. I can tell you for sure when I see the new seat cover, I'm not sure what that channel looks like when it's not broken.

It took me weeks to figure out what it was. I reattached it a few times now and it would come off again in a month or so. The dealer reattached it a few weeks back and the tech said there was a part of that plastic channel that had broken off and he didn't think his repair would last. So they just ordered a new seat cover right away. The re-attached cover popped loose in 2 weeks.

Last edited: