Solution for rattle over sharp edged bumps from center console area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been driving myself nuts the last few weeks trying to find a rattle I was sure was coming from my center console. I took everything out of the center console, that wasn't it. Emptied the glove box, nope, not from there either. Worked my way around the console trying to pull and move things when I went over bumps, no help there either. I was going to pull the center console apart tomorrow.

Today I was making a very sharp turn into a drive through and for some reason when I hit a bump, this time the rattle sounded more like it came from farther over by my front passenger seat. I knew there was nothing stored under it. I slapped the seat like a big fat bit ches ass and sure enough I heard the rattle! I reached under the passenger seat while I was in line and immediately felt the plastic U shaped piece that holds the front of the seat cover to the seat frame was detached and hanging loose. It took me 3 minutes to fix it when I got home. :banana-mario:

I'm assuming it was never attached right when it was built and worked it's way loose. I only have 12,000 miles on it. You just have to give it a 1/2 rotation wrap and work it back onto the metal seat frame edge.

I'm hoping this thread might make it a little easier on guys like me that can't stand rattles and can't find it. I would have sworn it was coming out of the center console. I think my head would have exploded if I had pulled the console all apart and the rattle was still there! :893karatesmiley-thu

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m firmly in your camp. Rattles make me nuts. It’s one reason I traded my Panamera4 within months of buying it, a creak in the dash whenever I went over the hump in the driveway at the gym.

My first new vehicle was in around 1980, it was a Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo, a hot little hatch. I picked it up from dealer (pickup took hour longer than expected as I ate a rare (close to raw) RB sandwich on train on way to dealer and spent that hour heaving in the porcelain god) and zoomed from Brooklyn to lower Manhattan to pick up my wife at college. I heard a rattle the whole way and was about to drive off the Bklyn Bridge into the water because of it.

Well, she’s my rattle finder. When I think it’s in front, she finds it in back and vice versa. This loud annoying rattle? My homemade mix cassette of the Grateful Dead hanging out of the radio slot.

When anyone leaves something in a door pocket that rattles I have to stop to get it out and I want to keel them.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I know many aren’t fans, but, the “piped in engine noise” also comes with a somewhat effective noise cancellation in the cabin. It’s subtle, but it’s there.

I hear you though (see what I did there?), anything that detracts from the driving experience is fatiguing and will make you want to drive less.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know many aren’t fans, but, the “piped in engine noise” also comes with a somewhat effective noise cancellation in the cabin. It’s subtle, but it’s there.

I hear you though (see what I did there?), anything that detracts from the driving experience is fatiguing and will make you want to drive less.
That's why I never disabled the fake engine noise. I saw a few guys posted that they turned it back on to regain the noise canceling. I love the quiet of the truck since I installed the Second Skin sound deadeners and the door hole sealing panels from Bruce @Hush Car Audio. If I just want a quiet cruise, it's REALLY quiet, but it also made the stereo sound much better.

Last edited:

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want to know what was tied up. You mentioned you found a plastic U. You had a toy sheep under your seat? Now who’s is that?