GEN 1 Solution for interior (trim?) rattling noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 raptor with 75,000 miles is starting to sound bad on the interior. It seems like its just trim issues but its hard to pinpoint.

There is a bad rattle on the driver-side door. It almost sounds like something in the door is loose and shaking around but its more than likely just trim getting old and squeaky.

Is there any solution to make these rattling noises go away? It really cheapens up the feel and drive of the truck IMO.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Step 1 is to locate then isolate the noise: If your confident its from the driver door pop the panel off, take it for a ride and see if the noise goes away or gets worse. If it gets worse its something inside the door and you just need to get in there and start rattling things around, replace whatever is broken. If it goes away you know its something to do with the panel, either it is loose, or knocking into something. If nothing changes you know the noise is elsewhere. You can pull a panel in a half hour with no experience, much less once you have done it.

Butyl rope will become your friend, its sort of like permanent bubble gum, you can use it in between things to get them tightened back up, or as a damper, or to hold things in place without a vibration. There are plenty of write ups across the net on how to deaden a vehicle and stop rattles, just google search it. https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ is a great resource.

When I first got my Raptor I spent a few hundred bucks and some hours to do a bit of acoustic treatment, it makes a huge difference. You will have less fatigue in a quiet vehicle, audio sounds better, and it is just a nice place to be. @The Car Stereo Company will be a good resource for you on the topic.

Last edited:

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first got my Raptor I spent a few hundred bucks and some hours to do a bit of acoustic treatment, it makes a huge difference. You will have less fatigue in a quiet vehicle, audio sounds better, and it is just a nice place to be
What product and where did you put it?

Definitively picking up some of that butyl rope for when I do my audio system. Thanks!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are a lot of options available for sound deadening @B E N is correct in first finding the issue before going out and buying stuff, however if you want to do a complete sound deadening job, then that is an option. right now my drivers door panel rattles because i have 5 handheld radios clipped to the side of the pocket. the extra weight has cause the plastic to seperate in the pocket area. i will be taking it apart to fix it in the coming weeks. one that a lot of people dont think of, is the door latch. i have replaced mine a couple times now. the rubber bushing on the vehicle side of the door latch gets fatigued and compresses over time. the latch assembly itself can also be a cause, but i found the rubber is the main cause, however i have replaced my latch as well in all 4 doors. find what rattles and let us know and we can figure a solution for you

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What product and where did you put it?

Definitively picking up some of that butyl rope for when I do my audio system. Thanks!

I used second skin, I think its available on amazon. I used it more or less anywhere there was a clip or contact point. It is very pliable so you can draw it out into very thin pieces and use just a little wherever. It is "sticky" but releases from most glossy things pretty easily. I also used it to replace the sections of factory butyl that had lost their adhesion. It also works great for wrapping around wire bundles to stick them to stuff, especially if a panel will lock them in later. Its a tool in the arsenal of sound deadening, but it is very useful for rattles.

Its also weather proof, I had some rattles coming from my fuel tank skid pan, I didn't feel like pulling it off so I just wedged some butyl in there, fixed it well enough for short term.

It will create a waterproof seal, so be careful you aren't sticking it in drain holes. This can be an advantage, if you need to plug a hole in something like a firewall and its hard to reach this will get it done.

While you have your door panels out clean the drain holes and all the dirt out of the insides of them, it will save you later down the road. 25% coverage with something like Dynmat makes a huge difference (I use Knonoise collosus), stack deadener, an isolator and absorber (neoprene and hydrophobic melamine) behind the speaker, it will improve the SQ immensely.

DanT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an irritating rattle coming from my center gear shift console - any suggestions on getting to the culprit?

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Disassemble and figure out what's actually making the noise. If you find its trim rattling get some adhesive backed Velcro and use the soft side to make a buffer between the parts that are coming in contact. If it is the trim you should be able to get it to stop by resting your hand on it when driving on a "rattly" road section. There is a good chance that there are some screws loose.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score