Software Update for Full Screen CarPlay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FREEZE451

Reaction score
My screen looks exactly like yours but unless you have AA update 8.8…, you won’t get full screen capability.
Roger that.

I just got an appointment, February 28th, they are fixing my backup issue (tailgate was taken off) and I asked if they could update my radio so I could get full screen. He said he wasn't aware of it, but they have a techy guy who knows the Sync system and between now and then he'll find out what he can and if he is able, then he'll knock it out.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger that.

I just got an appointment, February 28th, they are fixing my backup issue (tailgate was taken off) and I asked if they could update my radio so I could get full screen. He said he wasn't aware of it, but they have a techy guy who knows the Sync system and between now and then he'll find out what he can and if he is able, then he'll knock it out.
Your outcome will be interesting to me. My '21 sat at the dealer for a few days. They said nothing they can do as this update is over the air only - the insisted that they made a special call to Ford support on my behalf about this. I had pushed back after first hearing them say that. I still wait for this magical over the air via AT&T update....

JeepSRT8

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have been doing some research on this. For the most part while the truck needs a update, if your using Android Auto you will need the Android Auto 8.8 version which is called coolwalk. This is a server side update, so sideloading it won't really work. Depends on your phone, carrier when the update will be pushed to your phone, so even with a update to the truck if you do not have the right version of Android Auto it won't matter.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your outcome will be interesting to me. My '21 sat at the dealer for a few days. They said nothing they can do as this update is over the air only - the insisted that they made a special call to Ford support on my behalf about this. I had pushed back after first hearing them say that. I still wait for this magical over the air via AT&T update....
I’d just throw your VIN here and get the details of your OTA status. They can see all the detail on if your truck has been sent updates and what the hold up is. They can also see all available module updates for your truck.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d just throw your VIN here and get the details of your OTA status. They can see all the detail on if your truck has been sent updates and what the hold up is. They can also see all available module updates for your truck.

I posted my VIN over there based on this recommendation. Below is what I got back:

The last OTA you got was back in August of last year. Because it was over 60 days ago, I cannot see the details of the update. Based on your current Sync version, you are well behind on OTA updates. You will need several other updates to be sent to you before you can get the one for the latest Sync. Try resetting your APIM. With the truck on, hold the radio power button and forward seek button for a few seconds until the screen reboots. This does not guarantee anything will happen, but it does not hurt to try. There is no way to force updates to be sent to your truck.

Not encouraging in the slightest. I know Ford isn't going to do the hours of work required to load all of these updates, so basically I have an expensive truck I paid for that is lacking features that most others have. Pretty annoying.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted my VIN over there based on this recommendation. Below is what I got back:

The last OTA you got was back in August of last year. Because it was over 60 days ago, I cannot see the details of the update. Based on your current Sync version, you are well behind on OTA updates. You will need several other updates to be sent to you before you can get the one for the latest Sync. Try resetting your APIM. With the truck on, hold the radio power button and forward seek button for a few seconds until the screen reboots. This does not guarantee anything will happen, but it does not hurt to try. There is no way to force updates to be sent to your truck.

Not encouraging in the slightest. I know Ford isn't going to do the hours of work required to load all of these updates, so basically I have an expensive truck I paid for that is lacking features that most others have. Pretty annoying.
Well on the bright side you know you have an actual issue. There is a TSB out there related to trucks “stuck”, no idea what the date range is but I’m guessing this is something Ford will address in the coming future as dealers are already being bombarded with these requests.

And just to mention, items like the trailer brake control recall require a dealer to update certain modules, something like that would likely lead them to repair or get the truck on the right track for OTA or other various updates as they will come across the same issue(s) that is likely holding up your truck currently.

You can also take the DIY approach many have done of buying a mongoose cable and FDRS. Yeah not ideal but at least we aren’t in the dark.

And to add, that community over there is great. I’m sure Ford is put in a difficult spot when a group of owners have basically taken this whole process in their hands and in some cases is far above what the service network has been doing. Tons of troubleshooting info and knowledgeable people.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All these posts motivated me to contact the Sync group with Ford again. Finally, the web chat person gave me a phone number to call 833-389-0848. That lady was pretty helpful - she confirmed at least that my dealer did reach out to TAC on the issue when my vehicle was there. She did say that 4 days later, they advised my dealer that the GWM software needed to be updated and then the APIM software. I believe my vehicle was no longer there (as they said there was nothing more they could do), but bummer that the dealer didn't see that advice and reach out to me.

Ford agrees that there is something wrong with my truck as they see no updates happening since I took delivery 13 months ago. So, my choice is to go to another dealer or continue to push my selling dealer.

For now, I'm choosing the latter and am dropping off my truck again on Friday. My service advisor is out until Thursday morning, I will talk to him directly to make sure we are on the same page.

I hope the third time is the charm. If not, I guess I'll need to take it to another dealer.

Last edited:

FREEZE451

Reaction score
Just got a voicemail from my service rep, and he informed me the update is OTA like people are seeing. I was told the last attempt was January 25th, but didn't make it - he said it didn't show a reason.

Assured me when my truck is in to fix the tailgate removal, that they would look at it, if it hasn't

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Received the below update this morning. I had just started the truck when the below message popped up. So I turned the truck off & sat through the entire update...roughly 12 mins. Needless to say, I was late for work but wasn’t about to miss this damn update. Truck did some funky stuff as I sat & waited.

Attachments

• FDFFB3AC-A588-456E-853A-3535941427D3.jpeg
    FDFFB3AC-A588-456E-853A-3535941427D3.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 21929769-2619-4825-B4F0-5669BCC482EC.jpeg
    21929769-2619-4825-B4F0-5669BCC482EC.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20D5FDB8-B3B8-4ABC-92AB-F40F7DCA708F.jpeg
    20D5FDB8-B3B8-4ABC-92AB-F40F7DCA708F.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 21
  • BBE27B87-9A15-4EB9-85C5-6407C0B5B265.jpeg
    BBE27B87-9A15-4EB9-85C5-6407C0B5B265.jpeg