Soft Brake Pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPA

Reaction score
Group,

I have a 2018 with 100,000 miles. Just replaced front brake pads and now pedal is soft. I checked fluid levels, etc. and all seems right. Any ideas?

BTW, did not bleed them after the pad change perhaps that is it.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would change out the fluid and do a bleed of course. I like the Motive bleeder - makes the job so easy especially for one person.

Did you check the slide pins? Make sure everything is clean and lubed?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure that the pads are in the correct positions; they are not all the same like many other vehicles. The inboard brake pad backing plates have rounder/raised edges, and the larger chamfered portion of the inboard linings needs to be installed at the top. The inner brake pads are not interchangeable between sides. The outboard brake pads can be installed on either side.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, it is a good idea to change out the fluid (Not just bleed at the valves, but rather flush all old fluid out and replace with new fluid). Brake fluid is Hygroscopic (absorbs moisture), so most recommend flushing/replacing every two years to avoid moisture accumulation in the fluid.

When you get moisture/water in the fluid, and then as it heats up from the brakes being used, the water/moisture vaporizes and turns to gas (like bubbles) and will cause a spongy feeling, and not allow the hydraulic fluid to work as intended.

It is a good routine to start changing out every two years to keep that system working great!

Good luck.
DC

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Ford Tech 1 said. MAKE SURE you have the front pads in there correct location. The boxes don't say if they are inner or outer pads. I unfortunately made the mistake 1 time and had the pads in wrong position. Braking was horrible and they wore out. I had to get another set of front pads and thus problem solved

ba123

Reaction score
+1 on the Motive Bleeder and flush the entire system. Start with the furthest from the reservoir and do more than enough to be sure you have new fluid. Better to waste new fluid than it is to have old fluid in there. When you flush this way, you are bleeding at the same time (air never enters the system, but is pushed out if in there) so very easy.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I will check on pads and will drain and bleed system.
Good luck with your issue. I put an entire Brake system overview/tech info PDF on my Cloud Drive at the link below.

This should help you with Dx and procedure for bleeding/flushing the system.

Please note: The document was designed initially as a secured web page, so hyperlinks will not work (but you should not need any of them).

Take care,
DC

LINK TO BRAKE SYSTEM INFO