GEN 1 SoCal Molded Lead Frame service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone in OC / LA area have their Molded Lead Frame swapped out?

I am looking for recommendations for a place to get this service done. I have All the OEM parts just need a quality place to do the work.

Thankyou in advance

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Marspool

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone in OC / LA area have their Molded Lead Frame swapped out?

I am looking for recommendations for a place to get this service done. I have All the OEM parts just need a quality place to do the work.

Thankyou in advance

Looking for the exact same thing...

OP
OP
RC51TOFUMAN

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reached out to my Local Independent......he won't even attempt to do the work and they are ASE Certified and AAA approved facility. They refer out their Trans work. I'm waiting to hear back....from them...and who they'll refer.

I left a message for another local independent that just works on Transmission. No callback today....Maybe their not interested lol

I reached out to my local Ford Dealer (OC). He quoted $447 and that is just for the labor because I am supplying ALL THE PARTS.
-Molded Lead Frame
-Bulkhead Sleeve
-Pump Pass Through Seal
-Gasket
-13.1 quarts of Amsoil ATF

I'll reach out to a few of the Ford Dealers in LA where I work and price shop from there.

This guy that made this video on swapping out the Molded Lead Frame is On-spot. He even lists all the Ford part numbers. I'll keep this post updated...when I find a place....I plan on doing the Work 7000 miles from now

Last edited:

Marspool

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, Is your truck having issues, or is this a preventative? I posted my issue of hard shifts between 3 and 4 and hesitation in other gears. Even had it go from 4th to 1st at 40 mph. Truck has gone into limp mode 3 times with no codes. Only wrench on screen until I pull over turn of truck and start again. My vin does not fall into recall and dealership could not replicate problem. I watched same video and others on this, and certain this is the culprit. My truck is a 2014 with 74,*** on it.

OP
OP
RC51TOFUMAN

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 screw and it just hit 90k
Original owner
Recall Reflash completed a while back.
This is preventative.

Every once in a while....I have moderate downshifts to 3rd gear. I've always had that. ....every once in a while. I dont have any of the stuff your experiencing. Others have posted similar to your symptoms.

I would suggest the Next time it goes into Limp Mode with wrench [emoji373]. Leave it As-Is and have it towed in. From what I've read...the Molded Lead Frame is only warrantied if you have a failure. Otherwise they won't cover it.

I plan on keeping the Raptor until it turns into a "problem". I'm a long-term ownership.....person....

Marspool

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yah I’m not worried about warranty, I just want the problem fixed either way. Seems to always happen at a inconvenient time when dealership is closed, etc. If I had a lift, I would just do it myself.
Where did you buy your parts?

OP
OP
RC51TOFUMAN

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local dealers are charging $150-$200 for the molded lead frame. Also there is a national backorder on the part. Not sure if it's due to Covid and/or if they are repairing alot of these.

When this was 1st posted about the Trans problem....the Molded Lead Frame costed around $115-125

So I went to the internet and searched out the part. 2 out of the 3 dealers were out of stock.
I sourced one from Autonation Ford White Bear Lake $129.79
The other 2 dealers were cheaper by $8. They didn't charge Tax.....but out of stock

Autonation had 4 in-stock

Rest of the parts were sourced on Amazon. 2-3 dollar difference in ordering out of state....so I just ordered it all on Amazon

If you look at the bottom of the YouTube video he lists All if the relevant part numbers and links to Amazon to purchase.

He made good points on swapping out the connector sleeve and pump through pass seal when doing this job....the Valve Body is going to come out so might as well. If you watch the video...you'll see what I mean

I much prefer a qualified trans tech to do this work. Not a simple oil change in my opinion

Marspool

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with the scope of this work, but fairly confident I could pull it off. Non the less I agree with finding qualified techs. My local Ford dealer out here in the Desert does not give the impression they know what they are doing or have a willingness.
Thanks for your info...