so visionx sent me a big box full of some lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Westside Offroad Group

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I'm not familiar with lighting and am trying to pick up a thing or two. What is the external ballast that you're talking about? So you could see the heat of an HID as a plus in cold weather and the lack of heat in an LED as a plus in warmer weather.

I guess vision x has switched their high end lights to internal ballasts and STARTERS, so not too much of a concern anymore.

When I drawing the new light set up, I saw that people in colder climates were having trouble with light cannons getting buried in snow because the LED lights wouldn't get warm enough to melt it off of them. I don't care about running my lights in the snow so I didn't care about that con.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the light output comparable? if so it seems like the major difference is heat and price, in which case why pay more for HID.

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other then that your 6 of one half dozen of the other. LEDs are more expensive. The lack of heat is a plus and a curse in snowy / cold weather conditions.

They each have their place. LEDs also have no ballasts to mount and locate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10W LEDs anyway throw out enough light/heat to de-ice themselves.

Mine do anyway.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what i saw on the site huck, the led light cannons are 429 for 1 and like 800 for 2, where as the HID are 539 for 1 and they don't offer a pair.

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From what i saw on the site huck, the led light cannons are 429 for 1 and like 800 for 2, where as the HID are 539 for 1 and they don't offer a pair.

Yeah the Light Cannons are sold in pairs usually, because they'll give you a wiring harness meant for both lights, when you order a cannon individually you won't get a harness

OP
OP
Westside Offroad Group

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
0Q27SoF.png
6.7" 50W VisionX 6550 HID beam patterns
$399 MSRP each

RJxnD7r.png
6.7" 50W Light Cannon LED beam patterns
$429 each / $849 kit of two MSRP
$30 interchangable covers to do euro/flood/spot in different colors available

VisionX also makes 8.7" HIDs which are obviously brighter, but **** putting 5 of those on my roof, I think they look too big. Just for fun, here's the beam patterns for their big kahuna, the 8550XP, MSRP $539:

3kcIaht.png