So I sound proofed my doors and added new speakers now my door locks sound funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

special K

Reaction score
So this weekend I attempted to install sound proofing and my door speakers. I added material to the inside of the door and also near the speaker. The problem I have now is my door locks sound funny when it locks. It sounds like something is loose but man I cant tell what it could be. Again I just added sound proof material and didn't mess with anything else. Kind of upset now as I have a few more rattles after removing the doors. I even took the doors off again and make sure that nothing was impleading the seal of the door. Seems like the doors don't fit as tight as before I removed them, but its close. I guess I am just real picky. Anyone have any idea what it could be on the lock sound?

IMG_1053.jpg

OP
OP
S

special K

Reaction score
I used a plastic trim tool to remove them, but to be honest I took the doors on and off 3 times when I had to much sound proofing material. I feel like I might have worn out some of the clips sealing the door tight. No clips broke, is there a special one for the lock?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You have some impediment to fully seating the door panel, likely toward the edge of the door. is this picture with the door handle screws installed?

it looks like the bottom screws are installed. from the pic but can you confirm?

It’s also possible you broke one or more clips.

As to the locks, do you hear the sound at all the doors, just one, more than one?
can you manually actuate the locks and they move freely?

OP
OP
S

special K

Reaction score
Yes this picture is fully tighten up. Bottom and top screws fully installed. It seems like I only hear the lock issue from the passenger door.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You want to be sure the locks freely move AND that your door latches are fully functional. Double check, it doesn’t take much interference to freeze up the door latch mechanism. Check them by opening the inside door handle AND the outside door handle, they use separate cables apparently.

You’re going to need to go hands on to investigate the gap situation on this side, as well as the lock issue.
I added material to the inside of the door and also near the speaker.

I think you’re going to also need to eyeball inside the door as best you can to see what’s different where the lock sounds different.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what did you do to the door behind the cover? thats where you will need to look. also, the door panel is definitely not seated properly. make sure you cut out all the holes for the panel. i also notice the plastic lock rod cap is missing