So I got the Cam Phazer Recall letter from Ford today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The letter from Ford states "In rare instances, some vehicles will experience an engine shudder after reprogramming the PCM with the 21B10 update. Ford Motor Company will provide a no-cost, one-time repair under program 21N08 to return the vehicle's PCM to the prior calibration."

The shudder is the result of upper end engine wear due to poor maintenance or running low on oil. It is unrelated to the phaser rattle noise or it's cause.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a build date it applies to / prior to? I have a 2020 built in November 2019. I didn’t get a recall notice that I know of, but also am not at the address the car is registered at so I’m unsure. The Ford pass app doesn’t show the recall on it- at least as of yet.

You would have had the notice in Ford Pass by now. November '19 was the build date cutoff.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It does not state that anywhere in the bulletin, not sure where you’re coming up with the idea that the calibration would somehow induce a rattle. The root cause was identified as the phaser duty cycle, which is corrected in the updated calibration.

Dude....yes it does. So please...get down off you know it all high horse and educate yourself. You DO NOT know everything.

51611367532_a1dfae8a27_b.jpg

"shudder after reprogramming"....don't you dare try and tie that to poor oil change history. It says it right there. They know that their action can cause side effects. Which is why I am hesitant.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude....yes it does. So please...get down off you know it all high horse and educate yourself. You DO NOT know everything.

View attachment 325709

"shudder after reprogramming"....don't you dare try and tie that to poor oil change history. It says it right there. They know that their action can cause side effects. Which is why I am hesitant.

"Dude"...stop trying to read into things you don't understand. It's not personal. I never claimed to "know everything", but you were the one who claimed the FSA could induce a phaser rattle, which is not true and is clearly not stated in the bulletin. Vehicles that exhibit a shudder have been shown to have cam journal wear, which is caused by lack of maintenance or low oil level. 2017 to early 2019 F-150/Expedition/Navigator 3.5 were included in a TSB for valve cover replacement due to oil consumption; there was even an SSM that states if cam position sensor DTCs are present, check the oil level first. Once the oil level is low enough that control over the VCT system is lost, there is the (likely) potential for upper end wear. That population of vehicles is being referred to in 21N08. With the increase in VCT duty cycle in 21B10, that damage becomes apparent. It's the owner's responsibility to monitor oil level. However, that is not something owners commonly due within the first oil change of a brand new vehicle, hence why Ford is covering it with 21N08 and not denying coverage.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 325709

If you want to get your free extended warranty I would get the update, what's the negative here? A bit of your time at the dealership? Just get it done, peace of mind, if it does shudder, then they will return it to the previous update, nothing lost.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not correct. Every vehicle included in the affected VIN range needs 21B10. Program 21N03 is for vehicles outside of powertrain warranty coverage. 21N08 is only for vehicles that experience a shudder after 21B10.

21N08 take out 21B10 if you experience a shudder (reverse back)
and 21N03 replace the phasers.