So I got the Cam Phazer Recall letter from Ford today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D3 SS 3D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the folks here with aftermarket tunes, I'd recommend reaching out to your tuner directly and asking about any related impact, here's the response from my tuner for reference.

cam (2).jpg

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Either way, I don’t think the reprogram would cause the phaser rattle to begin on your previously good truck. I can see how the reprogram might uncover or unmask a previously undiagnosed symptom, but I haven’t seen where applying the CSP update would cause the phaser rattle.

My only concern is the letter specifically states the possibility that the fix could actually break them. To me, that shows they still truly don't know what the issue is.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are you seeing that indicates applying 21B10 will cause the phaser rattle to manifest?

My completely unscientific understanding is that it’s either failed to park properly or it parked correctly. If the former, you get the rattle, if the latter, you don’t. 21B10 helps prevent the failure to park ? or does it mitigate the symptoms of the park failure?

I’m not clear on the specifics.

Either way, I don’t think the reprogram would cause the phaser rattle to begin on your previously good truck. I can see how the reprogram might uncover or unmask a previously undiagnosed symptom, but I haven’t seen where applying the CSP update would cause the phaser rattle.
As you mention, 21B10 will not induce a phaser rattle. It’s simply a new calibration to prevent the issue from occurring. Not sure where people find this misinformation!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My only concern is the letter specifically states the possibility that the fix could actually break them. To me, that shows they still truly don't know what the issue is.
It does not state that anywhere in the bulletin, not sure where you’re coming up with the idea that the calibration would somehow induce a rattle. The root cause was identified as the phaser duty cycle, which is corrected in the updated calibration.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Received my letter today and I am glad! I already had the software update and that did nothing to fix the issue. I know they are gonna have to open her up but was a little worried because I am heavily modded. Got my letter now. Appointment to come soon

STHenry

Reaction score
I have had no issues with the cam phasers on my 2018 with 26,800 miles. I just received my letter this afternoon after dropping the truck off for a transmission slipping issue. I verified and they are going to do this update as well.

ShawnJ

Reaction score
I have a 2018 and received the letter as well as extending the warranty (another topic). I need a new dealership… took my truck in for maintenance and the service guy said it would be a solid 10 days before they would be able to look at my truck to see if it needs the update or what. Then came back and said yea your truck doesn’t need it. Looks like I need to go get it done before feb 2022. World Ford Pensacola you suck at everything lol

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what i understand,from my technician:
if you have no rattle you still have to do 21B10
if you have rattle also 21N03 and 21N08.
No modded.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
it’s like a mixed blessing here. It’s bad that it happened originally, but ok look how much extra coverage you get for the parts and labor. it’s not perfect, but it’s good that they’re taking care of the owners.

My only hesitation is that I do hate fixing what isn’t broke. OTOH, I modify almost everything, so what am I really worried about.
If they put the fix on and i hear a rattle or they do, free, new cam phasers.