So I got the Cam Phazer Recall letter from Ford today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got it as well and plan on doing it as my phasers rattle at startup for the last 60k miles.

Ill flash back to stock before I go, but then Will my tune flash back on okay? Will putting my tune back on cancel whatever they change to fix the rattle?

I currently run a JDM tune

@FordTechOne
In my experience the tune will overwrite the entire calibration, which will remove the new software in 21B10. However, some tuners are saying that is not the case. Not sure how a tune can only partially overwrite a PCM cal, maybe one of the tuners can chime in with some additional information/explanation.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a tuner... however, my understanding is that individual cells can be/are addressed. So its not a "all or nothing" ordeal. Cobb released updated firmware at roughly the same time that may be also be involved. I think Goosetuned would be a good resource in this matter, but I forget how to type his name where the interweb demons will notify him.

I will say back in my day (Mistu Evo VIIIs) the ecu was so deconstructed that you could change individual lines of code in cells and had as much control or more than a stand alone. No lift to shift, launch control, hell you could even set the rpm/load the AC compressor would cut off.

Dancam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a new update or the old one released few weeks back and OP just received it? I know they released one few month back that was bad, an update to that one and now I see OP saying he "just received " the update

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this a new update or the old one released few weeks back and OP just received it? I know they released one few month back that was bad, an update to that one and now I see OP saying he "just received " the update
The FSA has been the same since July 15th.

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the notice this week too. As mentioned, I have no noise and my truck was built in 5/19 so I assumed it was post the cam phaser issues. I also have a tune from Winfield and really did not want to have to uninstall, have an update that may make things worse and then reinstall a tune that may overwrite everything anyways. lol so confused.

Dancam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the notice this week too. As mentioned, I have no noise and my truck was built in 5/19 so I assumed it was post the cam phaser issues. I also have a tune from Winfield and really did not want to have to uninstall, have an update that may make things worse and then reinstall a tune that may overwrite everything anyways. lol so confused.
After oct of 2019 they started using diferent parts.. Your build date is before that

D3 SS 3D

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm in a similar situation as you and others here, nothing obviously/noticeably wrong right now and I have a tune. For the time being, I've reached out directly to my tuner, JDM, will see what they say about an uninstall, PCM update from Ford, and then reinstall and what that may / may not mean in regards to the custom tune vs. Ford PCM cam tune.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I am not sure what I am going to do. They want to do a software update to keep the phaser rattle from happening. But the soft ware update may cause the rattle to start if it didn't before. if that happens, they will revert back to how you had it before the upgrade.

What are you seeing that indicates applying 21B10 will cause the phaser rattle to manifest?

My completely unscientific understanding is that it’s either failed to park properly or it parked correctly. If the former, you get the rattle, if the latter, you don’t. 21B10 helps prevent the failure to park ? or does it mitigate the symptoms of the park failure?

I’m not clear on the specifics.

Either way, I don’t think the reprogram would cause the phaser rattle to begin on your previously good truck. I can see how the reprogram might uncover or unmask a previously undiagnosed symptom, but I haven’t seen where applying the CSP update would cause the phaser rattle.