So I got the Cam Phazer Recall letter from Ford today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure what I am going to do. They want to do a software update to keep the phaser rattle from happening. But the soft ware update may cause the rattle to start if it didn't before. if that happens, they will revert back to how you had it before the upgrade.

They will also cover all cam phaser repairs up to 69,000 miles...then prorate after.

But...the extra phaser warranty won't be there if you don't do the software update.

So for me....my august 2018 build has 40,000 miles. I have no Sogn of cam phaser rattle. So I am inclined to not get the software update. but if I don't get the software update by feb 2022, I will no longer get the extra cam phaser warranty. seems like covid tax all over again. pushing an update I may not need.

What is everyone else going to do?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get the software update, if the cam phasers make noise after or whatever, get it done, you're fully covered. At least this won't be the mechanics first go at doing a cam phaser repair, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've only heard of 1 or 2 incompetent mechanics performing this repair on this forum. It's easy for me to say as I have a v8, but I have had work performed under warranty before and never had issues (with my Raptor).

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what I am going to do. They want to do a software update to keep the phaser rattle from happening. But the soft ware update may cause the rattle to start if it didn't before. if that happens, they will revert back to how you had it before the upgrade.

They will also cover all cam phaser repairs up to 69,000 miles...then prorate after.

But...the extra phaser warranty won't be there if you don't do the software update.

So for me....my august 2018 build has 40,000 miles. I have no Sogn of cam phaser rattle. So I am inclined to not get the software update. but if I don't get the software update by feb 2022, I will no longer get the extra cam phaser warranty. seems like covid tax all over again. pushing an update I may not need.

I had no idea I had it, but service Mgr picked up on it. He confirmed that if you have the noise, software update won’t stop it. I had mine in the shop for cam phasers all last week at 52,000 miles.

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am in the same position. I don’t have any noise as far as I can tell and not real inclined to get the update. But will be watching this thread.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got it as well and plan on doing it as my phasers rattle at startup for the last 60k miles.

Ill flash back to stock before I go, but then Will my tune flash back on okay? Will putting my tune back on cancel whatever they change to fix the rattle?

I currently run a JDM tune

@FordTechOne

Rap19

Reaction score
I uninstalled my stage 2 tune from Cobb/ Goose tuned on Sunday. Took my truck to Ford to re flash the ecu per the TSB yesterday (Monday). When I got home I re flashed the ecu and transmission STAT. The Cobb aftermarket tune does not mess with Ford's ecu changes that help with cam phaser problems. Make sure you update your after market tuning device if an update is available before you retune the truck . I can't believe how much more enjoyable the Raptor is to drive with a proper tune. Anyway, my truck drove great to work this morning.. she's a beast!

Last edited:

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2017 @ 35k just started with the cold start rattle a couple weeks ago. She goes in to Nov 3rd for the fix.

I get the hesitancy on doing the recall, but if it were me, I would take it in just to make sure your covered. Never heard that the update could cause a cam phaser issue, but even then it's the safer route overall

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I uninstalled my stage 2 tune from Cobb/ Goose tuned on Sunday. Took my truck to Ford to re flash the ecu per the TSB yesterday (Monday). When I got home I re flashed the ecu and transmission STAT. The Cobb aftermarket tune does not mess with Ford's ecu changes that help with cam phaser problems. Make sure you update your after market tuning device if an update is available before retune the truck . I can't believe how much more enjoyable the Raptor is to drive with a proper tune. Anyway, my truck drove great to work this morning.. she's a beast!
thank you much, Ill make the appointment