So How Many of Youse Have Added Laser?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a pretty good video - so that’s 4x LP9 and 2x XL80’s (ADD hood mount?)

nice.

I’m guessing @MDJAK is an upstater.

from about Baltimore to mid joyzee it’s “you’s”, pronounced ‘yuze’.
- think “yuze from Balmer, hun?” Northward to about, what, NYC, it’s more of a soft ’s’ - like ‘use’
- like, ‘what are yous up to?’

then you go further north and it’s right back to ‘yuze’... Jayzuss.

;-)

giphy (1).gif

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As a owner of the XL80 LASER lights AND the Onx6+ lower grill light bar let me say just about all the comments have been spot on!
LASER lights are the pinnacle of long range Spot lights, but that's a pretty narrow spectrum of a complete lighting package...

I had a set of XL80 Combos (9600 lumens) mounted to the SDHQ A pillar mounts and those were fantastic!...much better lighting then the lower grille 10" bar, replaced them with a set of XL LASER's and actually my total lighting zone coverage went down....

I'm pretty sure if the 10" bar was at least a foot higher it would really do a better job filling in the light zones..

I'm going to do another aiming session with the Lasers, they're a little high and not converging...if that's no help I'll go back to the LED XT80's I already own...

If all you have is the lower 10" bar I would not recommend the Lasers, but would HIGHLY recommend the full power XL80's combo on the the pillar!

Cosmo

Reaction score
Like Adam said, expensive for what you’re getting. the laser is a necessarily tight beam with much less collateral throw, so your illumination is a very tight window, but very far out. If you have lights covering up close, mid range and long range, then the lasers could push visibility out farther but you probably don’t need all that unless you’re doing high speed night runs in the Rap.

I’m not sure the lower grille kit is high enough up to be of use anywhere but the street. IF I was going to consider the B/D laser lights and there were easy financing terms offered so as to avoid a 2nd mortgage, I might consider the hood mounted XL80’s

I have the hood mounted (A-Pillar) XL80s. They work very well and they weren’t $1,000,000. I highly recommend them. But if you are not going off road regularly, you definitely do not need them. Here’s the other thing..if you aren’t going off road AT NIGHT regularly, you especially don’t need them. For all practical, everyday purposes, you absolutely don’t need any auxiliary lighting.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have the hood mounted (A-Pillar) XL80s. They work very well and they weren’t $1,000,000. I highly recommend them. But if you are not going off road regularly, you definitely do not need them. Here’s the other thing..if you aren’t going off road AT NIGHT regularly, you especially don’t need them. For all practical, everyday purposes, you absolutely don’t need any auxiliary lighting.

I’m going to only slightly disagree. Wide corner squadron sports illuminate all manner of road side critters that the factory lighting simply does not address. I’m betting that the SAE b/d lights are quite similar as their output appears similar. it is really nice to be able to light up a back road significantly better than stock.

Else, you’re right, anything beyond the SAE / squadron sport threshold of lighting is not really necessary on the street.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Else, you’re right, anything beyond the SAE / squadron sport threshold of lighting is not really necessary on the street.
Don't forget the many unlit back roads that are all over this country once you get out of the city...use my aux lights quite a bit on these roads...Going to Mexico?....better get some really good lights...

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I try to keep things, and thread titles, lively. Who likes boring?

Appreciate the replies. As for want vs. need, I’ve always been in the camp of the former. I want stuff all the time, and I usually fulfill those desires. Sometimes, rarely but sometimes, I never use something I buy. Forscan OBD tool a case in point. So far, a dust collector.

But I work hard and I play hard. And although I’m leaving for a 20 day drive in my Raptor to Moab followed by Raptor Assault tomorrow, no, other than that, living in NY I never off road. But I do once in a while find myself on a dark road with no traffic, and I like the best. I’m a member of candlepower forum where we are referred to as flashaholics, flashlight collectors. I’ve got a ton. So for me it just translates to wanting the best for my truck.

I have the lights in the bumper cutouts from BJ. I like em. The 10” in the lower grill is a nice addition.

Ah, but spots, that’s what I’m lacking. Decisions decisions.

Thanks again, fellas.. and no, I do NOT go around blinding oncoming motorists. I live by do unto others. I don’t like to be blinded and I wouldn’t do it to others. In fact, I almost always keep my hand on the upfitter switches so I can instantly turn them off if needed.

Now, what can you tell me about some ez trails for night riding in Moab? What about renting those big Atvs there?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hell come to my shop. I have shelves dedicated to "stuff". We call the shelves "Adam's Projects" I buy stuff and usually it never gets installed. All new stuff on the shelf to go in on a rainy day.

What part of NY ya from? I'm down here on LI and same boat... nowhere to offroad.

I'd recommend XL80s. We have them and can do them in spot for you, which is what I run. They work great.

Cosmo

Reaction score
I’m going to only slightly disagree. Wide corner squadron sports illuminate all manner of road side critters that the factory lighting simply does not address. I’m betting that the SAE b/d lights are quite similar as their output appears similar. it is really nice to be able to light up a back road significantly better than stock.

I understand what you mean, but I don’t really see an on-road use as valid since it’s illegal to drive on road with those lights in most cases as I understand it. That is just how I have always seen it. Off-road lighting is for going off road. Again, I could be wrong here, but it’s just a matter of practical application vs spending thousands on something you may only use....a handful(?) of times.