GEN 2 so - anyone figure out how Baja mode works yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
from the TopGear review (and probably others)

What modes did you try?

Of the six modes – Normal, Sport, Weather, Mud & Sand, Baja, Rock Crawl – we tried the Raptor in everything other than Weather. None of them disappointed. Sport crispens up the responses in all areas and would be my default day to day driving mode, Rock Crawl turns this huge, 5,500lb truck into a nimble motorised mountain goat. But it’s the Baja mode that really shows off the Raptor’s new abilities.

What does that do?

This dials up the engine’s anti-lag tech – it keeps the turbos spinning above 20k rpm even when you are off the throttle, so the engine can leap back into action when you find the balls to get back on it – and summons a shift schedule designed to make this thing fly over bumps, ruts and anything else you point it at.

how do you spin a turbo when there's no air pushing it? is this a wastegate trick? surely they're not spinning the engine faster - that would kill MPGs right? how does it not totally lean out? seems this could be an interesting mode to wreak havoc on catalytics...

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is there no air when the engine is still running? all of the exhaust goes through the turbine.

Its probably keeps the wastegates closed so it builds boost.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
According to C&D.

Baja mode also tweaks the engine-management program, shutting down fuel flow but keeping the throttle open when the driver jumps off the accelerator. This keeps air flowing through the engine, which in turn keeps the turbos spinning and cuts lag when the driver gets back on the gas. This function is limited to Baja mode because it negatively impacts emissions and fuel economy.

Gilligan

Reaction score
I think it keeps the turbos spooled up. Very curious to see how that stands up to the test of time.

Santiago

Reaction score
I don't recall the exact number but the engine won't drop below roughly 3750 rpms. The most distinct mode by far. The torque is impressive, almost too much. Feels like I'm just spinning tires.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall the exact number but the engine won't drop below roughly 3750 rpms. The most distinct mode by far. The torque is impressive, almost too much. Feels like I'm just spinning tires.

True that, especially in sand.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from the TopGear review (and probably others)

What modes did you try?

Of the six modes – Normal, Sport, Weather, Mud & Sand, Baja, Rock Crawl – we tried the Raptor in everything other than Weather. None of them disappointed. Sport crispens up the responses in all areas and would be my default day to day driving mode, Rock Crawl turns this huge, 5,500lb truck into a nimble motorised mountain goat. But it’s the Baja mode that really shows off the Raptor’s new abilities.

What does that do?

This dials up the engine’s anti-lag tech – it keeps the turbos spinning above 20k rpm even when you are off the throttle, so the engine can leap back into action when you find the balls to get back on it – and summons a shift schedule designed to make this thing fly over bumps, ruts and anything else you point it at.

how do you spin a turbo when there's no air pushing it? is this a wastegate trick? surely they're not spinning the engine faster - that would kill MPGs right? how does it not totally lean out? seems this could be an interesting mode to wreak havoc on catalytics...

The short answer is that your combustion event is delayed enough that burning gases are pushed out on the exhaust stroke which is what keeps the turbo spooled up. The ignition is delayed just enough so that the exhaust gases are just starting to ignite as they are pushed out of the engine. There is a system that does some wastegate trickery but I have no idea how that system works.

Quick YouTube search and I found this video. It gives a lot better explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyJn40ExwZY

And here is a video for the bypass valve method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6cHs5vMRE

Last edited:

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So probably not a good idea to smog in Baja mode [emoji23]

That is a good question. Now you have me wondering if the emissions are different in different modes.

I would imagine Ford is using the bypass valve method for the anti lag system. I can't imagine that they would be running a system to be putting that much extra heat into the turbo and then into the cats.

Last edited: