snorkel cutout, or removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about people removing the snorkel on the intake, can anybody elaborate what it is exactly these people are doing?

V/R

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I keep hearing about people removing the snorkel on the intake, can anybody elaborate what it is exactly these people are doing?

V/R

I'm thinking their talking about an extension of the air intake that runs through a cut out in the fender and up along the side of the A post intaking air from an elevated position. This is designed to keep vehicles from sucking up water through the intake when crossing high water areas like small rivers and streams etc.

Here is a picture of one sticking out the side of this truck.

Snorkel_18_l.jpg

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=399802

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you're going to run through water deep enough to need a snorkel you're going to need to modify the vents for the front and rear differentials and the transmission.

hmmm.jpg

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't heard about this mod on the Raptor but my guess is this:

The stock air box draws cold air from the front driver's side wheelwell behind the headlight. There is likely a system of baffles before the airbox that could be referred to as a "snorkel"... I'm sure it's designed to keep water and debris out of the air filter. I'm not just talking about deep water crossings... but even the road spray and debris thrown up by the front tire.

I haven't had mine apart but I would think Ford would have been careful to design this part to provide maximum protection with minimal restriction...

Personally, I'd be cautious about this "mod" unless all my driving was on dry pavement... it would probably be a safer bet to get one of the open-top so-called CAI's that draw extra air from the engine compartment.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured...I was initially thinking they were talking about the intake, after the filter...but then when people kept mentioning snorkel...that made me believe before..which I agree 100 percent with you Mark, not something I want to touch at all...I like to see no water or moisture in my air filter housing, and the way they designed the entire intake, I'm not going to touch it.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OIC,

Ya, some Lightning and Harley truck guys would cut a 2" diameter cut out in the bottom of the box and attach a hose and scope underneath the bumper for a ram air effect. I could almost see it on a street/strip truck but not on an offroad application.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OIC,

Ya, some Lightning and Harley truck guys would cut a 2" diameter cut out in the bottom of the box and attach a hose and scope underneath the bumper for a ram air effect. I could almost see it on a street/strip truck but not on an offroad application.

Ummm... actually I've done something similar on my Raptor and off road the heck out of it... but the hose is way up high.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting,

So where do you have the scoop?

No scoop. Just a hose that ends up high in front of the radiator. The opening is pointed to the side. (There should be some high pressure air in the area between the grill and the radiator)

I wasn't looking for "ram effect" as much as just letting a little more air into the stock box.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics? lol

i had a Ram Air on my Z28, improved a great amount of power (if i remember right, around 30HP), probably more so than the exhaust upgrade.