Snoball Attire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
https://www.sitkagear.com/products/pants-and-bibs/gradient-pant/waterfowl-marsh

I wore these each day last year and plan to do the same this year. They are the most comfortable pant IMO and they are warm when they need to be, but not too warm when in the truck. A pair of wool socks over your normal cotton socks, a hooded sweatshirt, and a comfy / easy on-off pair off shoes while driving. Keep a stocking hat and warm gloves in the center console. I kept a large tote in the back seat for the stuff you need when getting out of the truck for longer periods - inside was a pair of overalls, jacket, and insulated (1000+ grams) rubber boots. I am from the Midwest, so I rarely put on the bibs and jacket, but you might wear them more often.

Looking forward to 2021 SnoBall!!! You will have a great time!

I'd forget the cotton socks entirely. If your feet sweat, that cotton will hold all that moisture against your feet. No amount of wool socks over the top will warm them up once they are wet! I like a wool/ poly blend sock. Usually get them from Cabellas or Sportsmans' warehouse. They're not itchy like the 100% wool either.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd forget the cotton socks entirely. If your feet sweat, that cotton will hold all that moisture against your feet. No amount of wool socks over the top will warm them up once they are wet! I like a wool/ poly blend sock. Usually get them from Cabellas or Sportsmans' warehouse. They're not itchy like the 100% wool either.

I agree, I can't wear wool socks, unless they are over a poly/blend sock. Too itchy. I got some really nice boot socks from Cabellas.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is some good advice in this thread. If you're coming from Florida for your first Snoball, you should definitely plan to be out of your truck shoveling. LOL

Every year there are guys who wear jeans and tennis shoes, but it must suck to get a shoe full of snow or to have wet pants all day. You might also see two guys wearing shorts, but don't try to be like them, they have years of training!

I normally wear the following for driving:
  • Smartwool "base layer" long underwear top and bottoms
  • Gore-tex hiking boots with a thin wool sock (I like Darn Tough or Smartwool)
  • Gaiters - Nothing worse than a boot full of snow. You will have wet socks and cold feet that could have been prevented. I think my happiest clothing choice for Snoball is my gaiters. I can dress much lighter than others when my feet stay dry and warm.
  • Softshell pants - these are a pretty good option for driving because they repel water and won't soak up snow.
  • Flannel shirt or lightweight pullover fleece
  • Baseball cap
  • Sunglasses
When I jump out of the car, I have a set of mechanics gloves and a set of insulated gloves to choose from. I also have a beanie. These stay either in the console or the door pocket. If it's a quick recovery, I might just grab the mechanics gloves. If it's a longer **** stop, I'll usually grab the beanie and insulated gloves. Most of the fun of Snoball is heckling the poor decisions made by Florida drivers, so you want to be comfortable while you laugh about whatever has happened since the last stop.

In the back seat, I keep a warm jacket and a lightweight work type jacket handy. Those give me options depending on how cold it gets, but allow me to layer up if we are outside in the middle of the night freezing. I also usually bring a set of Gore-tex pants in case it's really ****** or super cold. In addition to my normal attire, I keep a small duffle bag in the back seat with an extra emergency change of clothes in case I get wet by falling through some ice and screaming like a little girl over the radio.

I hate bundling up too much because you will spend most of your time inside of the truck. We all have seat heaters and warm trucks to jump into if you get chilly. Best to wear whatever is comfortable to drive in if you have the stuff to layer up when you have to be outside.

Everything I listed is the stuff that I already have. If you don't have any of those items, I would look for a set of gore-tex boots that are comfy with some gaiters. You can wear your jeans or any pants with a set of cheap ski pants over them and then look for a warm jacket. Coming from Florida, you will be much colder than everyone who is acclimated to the colder temps, so you need to plan for that. Dudes who live in Michigan will be out there wearing jeans and a T-shirt looking at you like you're crazy because they are acclimated. Bring extra sweatshirts or whatever you have to stay warm normally, and you will be fine. Beyond boots, ski pants, and a jacket, you don't need to buy a bunch of shit you won't wear again unless you want to. Feel free to hit us up if you have questions about brands or sizing or whatever.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of expensive options proposed here, if you are looking for good, keep warm and dry, go with a pair of insulated boots like Muck, Lacrosse, Bogs, etc. water resistent/proof pants and a warm coat (good suggestion on a puffer coat, will keep you warm and cost effective. IF you think it will be closer to knee height, get taller boots...gaiters are great if a lower hiking boot style, but not neaded with high boots.
As for the pants, if you get water resistant/proof pants you can wear what you want for comfort underneath, fleece pants work good under them.

Boots: Men's Boots | Curbside Pickup Available at ****'S (dickssportinggoods.com)

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice here so I don't want to be redundant and will simply suggest two tips.

1) Regarding clothes; Layers is the key.

2) Yellow glass; like shooting or safety glasses, nothing fancy. Your eyes will thank you when everything around you is white.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Make sure you wear a warm hat. Much of your body heat is lost through your head! I would highly recommend this one, because people will judge you by the quality of your winter hat.

V

V

V

V

c73b1a647617744dd85f096be6f0af2b.jpg

Isn't that the guy who road a tricycle in the arcade game Nintendo 64?

I think his name was Toad!

Last edited:

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Layers is correct. I didn’t wear a coat last year. Even with all the extractions.

Flame me if you want, but I wear fuzzy crocs while driving. I can feel the pedals way better. Slip on the boots if I need to get in deep snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk