Sneaky Whoops and Your Skid Plate - The Jolt Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was in Johnson Valley (Whoop Haven), this last weekend and took this one trail at about 70 or so. The evenly spread out, med whoops were a blast. My buddy said he's taken this trail before and there are no big whoops. So I hit it...... He forgot about a bundle. OH SHIT!!!!! These things were big!!! All I felt was a feeling like the oil pan had blown to bits. Nope. Just the skip plate pushed waaaay up. A-OK! The only ****** thing was my buddys beer blew all over the inside of the truck and all over me. Hate to know what a cop would do if he pulled me over and smelled me and the inside of my cab.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....been there. The stock skidplate can't hang with the suspension.
I guess what I mean is that this suspension can get you into some shit that the stock skid plate can't handle.

...and I've had a buddy or two open a beer unannounced before while music was on in the rough stuff and then had it end up dripping off the roof liner onto my disapproving face moments later.

OP
OP
RaptorAddict.com

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Haha! The beer moments are great aren't they? I have a full front and rear bumper replacement coming from Tim at Wicked this week. Ordered them about 3 weeks ago. Can't wait to see how it handles them then.

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Haha! The beer moments are great aren't they? I have a full front and rear bumper replacement coming from Tim at Wicked this week. Ordered them about 3 weeks ago. Can't wait to see how it handles them then.

This is to funny. About a year ago I was messing around out in Johnson valley with a buddy and the exact same thing happened, beer flew all over the cab and I thought I broke the entire right front suspension off the truck. That's the problem with this truck, you get real comfy in the medium stuff, and then it can go all wrong real fast.

Deffinetly need to add a few more inches up front and stiffen up the compression.

Glad to hear the trucks ok short of cosmetic stuff, I'm sure the new bumper will help out with not getting stuffed up to much.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
hahahaha,
Great thread... Note to self, no beer in the truck... EVER. I just got back from my first time off the pavement and couldn't have had a better beginner road. I'm not depressed I live in the swamp. I can see why this sport is so addicting! As for the skids SDHQ can hook you up. I have their front set but they just did a full set (including gas tank skid) on another Raptor so they have you covered. Tell them Austin sent you and Ryan will probably charge you extra... ;)

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CineSLR said:
hahahaha,
Great thread... Note to self, no beer in the truck... EVER. I just got back from my first time off the pavement and couldn't have had a better beginner road. I'm not depressed I live in the swamp. I can see why this sport is so addicting! As for the skids SDHQ can hook you up. I have their front set but they just did a full set (including gas tank skid) on another Raptor so they have you covered. Tell them Austin sent you and Ryan will probably charge you extra... ;)

I second the no beer in the truck! I've been lenient on food, but I'm about to shut that down cuz Arby's almost got rid of my new truck smell. Gonna b livid if that happens.

Small question. In whoops, cuz I'd never been on that kind of terrain except on a bike, how detrimental would it b to hit a whoops section that has a curve? Not sure if it would rip up the rear end cuz of the leaf packs or if the truck could take it or even turn for that matter. I'm talkin about closely spaced (about the length of a dirtbike) that isn't a hard turn, but could potentially put me in the bush, wrapped around a tree. Odd to ask, especially w such specifics, but I can't get to that spot yet so I can't just try it

OP
OP
RaptorAddict.com

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, to be honest, I've never hit a big whoops section on a turn yet. Not sure what would happen. I've hit medium whoops that way and its a blast. Not to mention 2 of those times I was aired down and and blew out the side wall on my rear tire on sharp rock or something.

Last edited:

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I second the no beer in the truck! I've been lenient on food, but I'm about to shut that down cuz Arby's almost got rid of my new truck smell. Gonna b livid if that happens.

Small question. In whoops, cuz I'd never been on that kind of terrain except on a bike, how detrimental would it b to hit a whoops section that has a curve? Not sure if it would rip up the rear end cuz of the leaf packs or if the truck could take it or even turn for that matter. I'm talkin about closely spaced (about the length of a dirtbike) that isn't a hard turn, but could potentially put me in the bush, wrapped around a tree. Odd to ask, especially w such specifics, but I can't get to that spot yet so I can't just try it

As long as you stay on top of them and keep your speed up you should be fine. This truck gets out of shape when the woops are really sharp and close together.