Smoke (Cane Corso) hangin’ with me in the beast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would sleep safe and sound with these beautiful pups watching my family .
One of the reasons I picked the breed after countless hours of research... back when i worked nights and the Wife was alone. Libby (and mostly us) received a very considerable investment in professional training. There is a reason though, they are not dogs for the weak nor someone just wanting a "cool looking" dog. If they come from a correct bloodline they are among the most intelligent and driven canines who need to work (both physical and mental exercise) and have purpose or they get bored and will find their own mischief.

The guardian aspect also deserves respect with a bite force near three times a Pit Bull or over twice that of a Rottweiler. Far too often the wrong people get them because of their looks. Many people who purchase a Corso should have gotten a Bullmastiff or the like. Who is another terrific/fantastic breed for other reasons.

Sorry... got on a soap box... not directed at anyone here. Have dog owners in my lake neighborhood who have no business owning anything large enough to hurt the smallest of children much less one of these. Venting about my local situation.

ddraughn, sorry if I'm cluttering up your thread. However full disclosure, I think, is being a good ambassador of such a magnificently powerful animal.

Last edited:

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I picked the breed after countless hours of research... back when i worked nights and the Wife was alone. Libby (and mostly us) received a very considerable investment in professional training. There is a reason though, they are not dogs for the week nor someone just wanting a "cool looking" dog. If they come from a correct bloodline they are among the most intelligent and driven canines who need to work (both physical and mental exercise) and have purpose or they get bored and will find their own mischief.

The guardian aspect also deserves respect with a bite force near three times a Pit Bull or over twice that of a Rottweiler. Far too often the wrong people get them because of their looks. Many people who purchase a Corso should have gotten a Bullmastiff or the like. Who is another terrific/fantastic breed for other reasons.

Sorry... got on a soap box... not directed at anyone here. Have dog owners in my lake neighborhood who have no business owning anything large enough to hurt the smallest of children much less one of these. Venting about my local situation.

ddraughn, sorry if I'm cluttering up your thread. However full disclosure, I think, is being a good ambassador of such a magnificently powerful animal.
We did the same with our GS. I am gone sometimes 300 days per year and wanted a family and protection dog. Our only challenge was finding a breed that did not shed due to my wife and son having severe allergies to dander. Henry hardly sheds at all and our groomer does a good job stripping him every so often. He did 5 months boarded at a dog trainer specializing in family protection. I did not agree with her methods, but he sure found something there that keeps him on guard. Great dogs.
Thanks to everyone for sharing all the other pics. Beautiful pups.

OP
OP
D

ddraughn

Reaction score
One of the reasons I picked the breed after countless hours of research... back when i worked nights and the Wife was alone. Libby (and mostly us) received a very considerable investment in professional training. There is a reason though, they are not dogs for the weak nor someone just wanting a "cool looking" dog. If they come from a correct bloodline they are among the most intelligent and driven canines who need to work (both physical and mental exercise) and have purpose or they get bored and will find their own mischief.

Awesome post & I agree 100%. I’ve had Akitas & with very similar concerns did I find it extremely necessary to expose, breed specific, proper training. He’s still in training & doing well, but very head strong. It’s tough to maintain control, without breaking the spirit of a Corso. Again, thanks for the post

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Retired LEO with ties to the K-9 unit and have had fantastic luck selecting trainers. People are surprised how well she follows suggestions much less commands and then freak out with her understanding of the English language… lol.

However, as you point out, every once in a while she‘ll test you somewhat like a human teenager will.

Attachments

• 494EE19E-9F7F-46EA-A031-677AAF584A4C.jpeg
    494EE19E-9F7F-46EA-A031-677AAF584A4C.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
D

ddraughn

Reaction score
Retired LEO with ties to the K-9 unit and have had fantastic luck selecting trainers. People are surprised how well she follows suggestions much less commands and then freak out with her understanding of the English language… lol.

However, as you point out, every once in a while she‘ll test you somewhat like a human teenager will.
Awesome looking hound. I am curious as to what diet you have her on. I have Smoke on a raw mix, but I continue to get mixed responses from those I ask about a raw diet. Aside from the raw mix, I also supplement a great fruit & vegetable supplement. Thanks for any input.

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Libby is on prey model (98% raw meat)… we primariy get her food from Texas Tripe but she also gets pumpkin, good fish oil, Glucosamine and a multivitamin. Every vet that specialize in mastiff breeds freak out about how healthy she is from A to Z. Wife geeks out on canine health so I just follow her lead. It’s important to note that you have to order the diet you want from Texas tripe as well.