GEN 1 Smells like gas after driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody hite

Reaction score
I bought a 2013 Gen 1 in January of this year and shortly after buying it I noticed it smelled like gas almost everytime I drove it. I let my mechanic look at it and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. No obvious leaks or anything like that. Well yesterday I got off work early and eith the time change I got up under it and just happened to grab a fuel like and move it around and when I did the fitting on the line got wet with fuel! I don't know how common that is but it seems like the fitting has failed. This line comes from the fuel tank as a rubber line has a 90 degree fitting that connects to a hard pipe that runs over this box on the frame rail and the fitting that got wet with fuel goes from the hard line back to a short rubber hose and connects back to a hard line that runs up into the engine bay.
I really hope this solves my gas smell problem but I couldn't find a leak or anything anywhere else.
20200313_180604.jpg 20200313_180554.jpg 20200313_181006.jpg

Gary Young

Reaction score
I have a 2012 and had that constant gas smell when I bought it. Turned out to be that canister under the truck. We did smoke tests on all the lines and couldn't track it down and ended up taking it to the dealer as a last resort. you should also check the gas filler flap that sticks.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
could just be an o ring in the red thing that is pinched. I also would put a clamp or at least a zip tie on the other one.

perry

Reaction score
Same issue on 2012. Also fuel line clamp at the fuel rail on drivers side loosened up and leaked a bit, It was harder than it should have been to find. After initial cold start at an idle flex the connection a bit and observe if it leaks. Once the engine becomes warm its pretty hard to find leaks as the fuel evaporates so fast.

OP
OP
Cody hite

Cody hite

Reaction score
Same issue on 2012. Also fuel line clamp at the fuel rail on drivers side loosened up and leaked a bit, It was harder than it should have been to find. After initial cold start at an idle flex the connection a bit and observe if it leaks. Once the engine becomes warm its pretty hard to find leaks as the fuel evaporates so fast.

That was the issue with mine. The leak would only happen at certain times I was just lucky enough to move that line and see it leak. It dried up super quick and wouldn't do it again. But it was definitely a source of the gas smell coming from the truck.