small bumps, big problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmdhndz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I own a Gen2 2017 Screw Raptor with the following upgrades:
-Icon Rear leaf kit
-Fox 3.0 coil-over shocks front and rear
(Shocks loaded up front to level out the truck)
-ADD tie rod kit
-35x12.50r17 tires

I’ve got 90K miles on this truck with the suspension going in at 85,000 post-warranty, so relatively new. I’ve been experiencing some odd feeling in my steering wheel as well as bump-steer. I feel every little bump coming through the steering wheel as if my steering column to steering wheel connection is loose. I’ve had the entire front end of the truck inspected professionally (steering included) and everything is tight. Alignment is good according to “the dealer.” Furthermore, I had a new steering rack put in last year in warranty, that part looks good. Steering feels great in general.

What can I expect by adding some Icon UCA’s to my truck w/ the delta joint? I know perhaps I could get a truer alignment done with those for the bump-steer issue.. but could my stock uca’s be causing me to feel every bump through the steering wheel?

Tag some dudes in here w/ some knowledge for me.

Thanks in advance!

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have some bumpsteer from changing the ride height (how much did you raise?) and altering angles but it sounds like you need another shop to check your alignment, rack, cv axels, inner tie rods and steering shaft for issues. uca’s are stronger and articulate better but don’t really affect alignment, they’re adjustable so you can lock out the lca alignment adjustment for off road abuse.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius with 3.0 Fox's.

What are your shock settings at? Do you still have a front sway bar? I had problems with the rear Icons so make sure that the rear springs are clearing the shackle. What are your tire pressures at?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Lower your pressures 34F, 32R and retest. Might not take care of the bump steer, but should help the feel.

Check your rear springs and make sure they are not limited by the shackle. This might not allow the truck to squat on hard excel or move over bumps correctly.

Just trying to get the little stuff checked before someone who knows what they are talking about chimes in.

OP
OP
D

dmdhndz

Reaction score
Thx, I’ve lowered the pressures already and rear is fine. Feels the same. I’m going to have to rely on finding a shop that knows what they are talking about I think… I’m sure it’s something loose and they missed it…

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What can I expect by adding some Icon UCA’s to my truck w/ the delta joint?
You can expect to increase the complications from the current set of variables you already have