Sluggish Transmission, Harsh/Soft Suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Prospective Raptor buyer here. I test drove a 2013 SCREW yesterday, 71000 miles on it, really clean example, and came away pretty disappointed. I wanted to check with owners to see if this was design, or a poor example.

Driving it, everything felt disconnected. The steering felt like the pump was weak when turning (if anyone is familiar with that feeling). The suspension felt ridiculously soft for controlling the body, but still let through all of the smaller harshness in the road. It honestly felt as harsh as my Miata, only without the body control. I expected it to float, given its purpose, but did not expect the harshness to come through.

And the transmission. Wow. It was so sluggish to downshift. Dip into the throttle and it just stays in the taller gears. I had to really press down to get it to shift. And at one point I nailed the throttle and I swear it was a second delay before the thing downshifted and started going.

I expect things to be soft and disconnected compared to a Miata. But I've owned half-ton pickups before, Jeeps, 80's land barges...this Raptor just felt so off even compared to those.

Sounded great, looked great, liked the interior, power is good (once in the right gear). I just want to see if this is normal behavior before writing these off. Thanks!