GEN 2 Sluggish Sync 3.4 - Will aftermarket help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manyxcxi

Reaction score
My question: If my UI is very laggy to boot, but fine afterwards can I expect an aftermarket head unit with maestro to solve my problems?

My situation:

I’ve got a 2020 with Sync 3.4 (no built in GPS) with BO upgraded sound system. I’ve been unable to get a USB update to take.

I’ve done a master reset, a number of times. It never seems to finish an OTA update, and it never recognizes my update USB stick.

All the features work, but it can take upwards of two minutes at times for the UI to become responsive after starting it. Sometimes, though rarely, it’ll start working within 30 seconds.

Frequently (at least every couple weeks), I get re-prompted for sharing data with Ford, etc.

Sometimes CarPlay will be activated and audio playing while the screen is unresponsive (displaying the default UI or rarely actually showing the CarPlay UI).

Sometimes the boot takes so long it’ll cut over to the radio instead of CarPlay. It almost never boots fast enough to find my phone over Bluetooth so I just plug in for CarPlay.

While the screen is unresponsive it usually displays the UI, it just won’t respond to touch input. All dashboard controls still work though, like volume, seat heaters, etc. sometimes though the Raptor logo stays on for quite a while or the screen is black.

On occasion, if I start up and start driving immediately, if I go into reverse the reverse camera will basically stay on for two or three minutes and the boot up definitely takes forever.

What I have been told is that if all of my controls and functions are working, it’s likely the APIM isn’t messed up.

If the APIM isn’t defective, will a good aftermarket head unit work for me? Do I have to worry about losing any features?

I’d like to be able to just hop in and drive (crazy I have to wish for this) and get wireless CarPlay. That’s it. I don’t want to tear out all the old speakers/amps, etc. I also worry that even though an APIM replacement may be cheaper _the first time_ that I’ll wind up in this situation again, as others have.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A software update was released in June via TSB 22-2254. The update addresses multiple Sync issues including a frozen screen and CarPlay functionality.

Are you properly formatting the USB drive before loading the software? It’s also critical that all required files are loaded, otherwise it will either do nothing or return an error message. I’ve never had luck with the OTA functionality on Sync 3, it’s best to do it via USB.

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne just to clarify, I can update this myself with my USB rather than having to go to the dealer to have the TSB performed? I regularly update sync but just wanted to be sure I had access to the same software update as the dealer does. Sounds like it from the description of the service procedure

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne just to clarify, I can update this myself with my USB rather than having to go to the dealer to have the TSB performed? I regularly update sync but just wanted to be sure I had access to the same software update as the dealer does. Sounds like it from the description of the service procedure
Yes, the software is the same whether you have the dealer install it or download and install it yourself.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
I had an XLT work truck. I was having similar issues with the UI lagging and clock the time would not hold. Same with radio presets. If you are experiencing those, those are signs of the APIM going out. My XLT was an 18' and it was covered under warranty. I would not do an aftermarket stereo system to try to fix that problem.
Get the software updated, make sure you format the USB drive correctly. It took me a few tries on my Raptor but its working as it should. If this becomes an issue and you install aftermarket gear, the dealer might turn you away and blame it on that.