GEN 1 Slot Delete and UCA Education

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i recently had some new tie rods and LCA's installed on my 2011 SCREW. After talking to the shop i was made aware of how bad our trucks alignment adjustment is and how easily it can get out of whack. I haven't had any issues yet and i don't do a lot of off-roading but now that i know how poor of a design it is, i'm thinking about doing some preventative upgrades. From what I've seen it looks like there is 2 options;

1: Slot delete from Rogue Racing.
2: Cam Alignment from SPC (sold by SDHQ)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the slot delete removes all adjustment from the LCA and locks it in place and requires an adjustable UCA? The cam alignment kit makes LCA adjustment better but does not lock it in place. Do you need adjustable UCA with the cam kit?

It seems like the slot delete is the best solution for alignment issues but is the most expensive. The cam kit is quite a bit cheaper but not as robust as the slot delete, but a lot better than the stock setup?

Also, am i correct that with the adjustable UCA's you don't have infinite adjustment since you have to turn the Heim joint a half turn so the holes line up? Has anyone had any issues being able to get the alignment perfect with this incremental adjustment?

Finally, what would you recommend for someone like me that doesn't do a lot of hard off-roading but still want the security. Spend the money and do the slot delete or is the Cam Kit enough.

My current set up is stock LCA, Rogue Tie Rods, stock shocks with Geiser springs at mid perch. Stock UCA at the moment but likely to upgrade to Icon's or RPG or Rogue. Also running 18in Method Mesh's and 35 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

thanks in advance for the feedback

cheers

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i recently had some new tie rods and LCA's installed on my 2011 SCREW. After talking to the shop i was made aware of how bad our trucks alignment adjustment is and how easily it can get out of whack. I haven't had any issues yet and i don't do a lot of off-roading but now that i know how poor of a design it is, i'm thinking about doing some preventative upgrades. From what I've seen it looks like there is 2 options;

1: Slot delete from Rogue Racing.
2: Cam Alignment from SPC (sold by SDHQ)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the slot delete removes all adjustment from the LCA and locks it in place and requires an adjustable UCA? The cam alignment kit makes LCA adjustment better but does not lock it in place. Do you need adjustable UCA with the cam kit?

It seems like the slot delete is the best solution for alignment issues but is the most expensive. The cam kit is quite a bit cheaper but not as robust as the slot delete, but a lot better than the stock setup?

Also, am i correct that with the adjustable UCA's you don't have infinite adjustment since you have to turn the Heim joint a half turn so the holes line up? Has anyone had any issues being able to get the alignment perfect with this incremental adjustment?

Finally, what would you recommend for someone like me that doesn't do a lot of hard off-roading but still want the security. Spend the money and do the slot delete or is the Cam Kit enough.

My current set up is stock LCA, Rogue Tie Rods, stock shocks with Geiser springs at mid perch. Stock UCA at the moment but likely to upgrade to Icon's or RPG or Rogue. Also running 18in Method Mesh's and 35 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

thanks in advance for the feedback

cheers

Exactly; slot delete requires aftermarket adjustable UCA to adjust camber/caster, cam kit does not. Supposedly a decent alignment shop can get an adjustable UCA spot on (with enough time to adjust, check, readjust) but if at all possible I'd want someone familiar with them so as not to be the shop's guinea pig.

IMHO Alignment cams are a cost-effective upgrade that really should have come on all our trucks from the factory and something everyone should have; also make sure if you get them to get two pairs, one for the front and one for the rear LCA pivot bolt (rockauto had them cheapest I could find). Slot deletes are a viable upgrade for those that are increasing travel or seriously pounding the truck (the cams can potentially move and don't reinforce the pockets at all), and for anyone with adjustable UCA's already or along with them when buying. So if you do plan on UCA's I would get the slot deletes at the same time.

BTW besides the one from Rogue Racing there are other options like KHC's that not only eliminates the slot but reinforces the weak pockets (what I'm planning eventually when I do UCA's) and Forged Offroad, as well as SDHQ (can't find them on their site anymore but you could call and ask). Good luck!

Kalashnik

Reaction score
When I built my ranger I welded custom washer in place of the lower arm pivots to get rid of the alignment cams and then just heimed the upper arms for the adjustment. I did all my alignment measurements with the truck supported as closely as I could to the hub to simulate the tires actually being on. I was able to take enough measurements to get the alignment pretty close. Close enough that my buddy threw it on the rack one day while giving me special safety inspection and concluded besides more negative camber than stock I was right there.

With that being said... I was working on my ranger the other day because I noticed the camber had gotten worse. Since there is no cam bolts to slip this meant something is bending or something has play in it. After further inspection I noticed my upper uniballs had a bit of play. If I had cam bolts I would have just blamed them for the change in visible alignment.

Now the cam bolts could also offer a fuse for the front end. Sort of like how weak tie rods can save the rack or weaker axle shafts can save a dif. If the cam bolts slip under extreme loads it could help not bust something else. I don't drive to hard so I planned on doing the cam delete and probably just making my own heimed and uniball upper arm.