SLIPPERY mode versus 4A?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I felt the same way when I got my Gen2. "No way the truck can do better than amazing me!" And I drove in 4A a lot during the first month of winter.

Having been to Raptor Assault, but more importantly having driven in significant amounts of snow and ice covered roads and variable chunky melt through two Wyoming winters...now very few days go by in the winter that I don't switch to Weather as soon as I leave my driveway. Sure it's fun to wait until you've turned the 1st corner and swung the rear end around but other than that it just doesn't cut it in true winter conditions. I understand that most of the country does not experience these conditions with the regularity that we do, so maybe the need for control is not so prevalent.

You do have to learn to mash the accelerator a bit more to jump it out of the dead feeling, but at a 100 times per second or whatever the sampling rate is of the wheel slippage sensors, the programming is way more adept at driving the truck to the limits than little ol' ego-man me. When it can get traction, it does! Every day, pulling onto a busy, icy 2-lane highway where getting up to speed is important the truck exceeds my effort every time. Sad, but true. :)

It’s not about me thinking I can do better. In extreme weather I wouldn’t hesitate to use weather mode, but I live in Southern California so our weather doesn’t really get to those extremes that I need the throttle response dialed back that far.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not about me thinking I can do better. In extreme weather I wouldn’t hesitate to use weather mode, but I live in Southern California so our weather doesn’t really get to those extremes that I need the throttle response dialed back that far.

Makes perfect sense. I definitely thought I could do better...and maybe in certain circumstances I could.

You bring up a good point about the programming being overly nanny-ish in situations like basic rain.

VinceC

Reaction score
Pretty much a necessity. I run studded Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

I usually just stay home the one time every 5 years we get snow in Alabama

I have noticed a difference in Raptor slippery mode versus just 4a in my last F150. I didn't realize the other changes(throttle response and brake bias) the truck was making.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In most instance this may be true but not all IMO. Example, when its a bit wet out, the weather mode is entirely way too intrusive with the throttle response. It feels like I'm towing a 10k load behind me. Simply dialing in 4A gives me all the traction I need while still being able to get out of my own way.

Agreed. It is best to play around with both Normal 4A and Weather/Slippery 4A to figure out which conditions you prefer to use each option. Time and a place for both.

I wrote extensively on the drive modes here, if you are interested. As others have said, Weather mode will retard power somewhat, change throttle response, set steering to 'normal' and sends power forward more often than Normal 4A would.

If you note the truck is more sluggish than it could be, most likely Normal 4A would be a better choice instead. However, in conditions where you really need Weather/Slippery, you'll find the mode is well tuned.