SLIPPERY mode versus 4A?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highpox1

Reaction score
What is the difference between the SLIPPERY mode setting on the steering wheel and just manually rolling over to 4-Automatic?

The reason I ask is that when I clicked over to SLIPPERY using the steering wheel mode button, 4A is engaged, the alignment wanted to pull the truck to the left. I was clearly feeling it. Back to NORMAL, 2H and it was straight as an arrow. Then I tried it in NORMAL, but manually rolled the differential wheel over to 4A. Now it did not pull to left.. So something seemed different from 4A being setup by using SLIPPERY mode versus manually rolling it to 4A. Is there something else happening in SLIPPERY other than 4A?

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was in your head lol. It pulls to the left anytime you're in 4A regardless of mode.

Check the 'Terrain Control' chart in the Raptor supplement guide for specifics if you really wana know the differences.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
4a just engages the front drive. Does what it needs to do.

But. Wet / slippery mode engages the front drive. Reduces pedal sensitivity on the throttle. Changes the brake bias. And in 2019’s changes the shock valving.

Per the Raptor assult instructions. It is best to do everything with the terrain modes over just turning the dial.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If not torrential downpours, just slippery pavement w/ light rain & not alot of standing water pools I rock the Raptor in sport mode, dial to 4A, then traction control off - it makes for a fun ride.

If it was really pouring cats & dogs I'd set the truck to "weather" mode & leave TC on.

In snow/winter weather w/ light traffic/no traffic I use 4 HI sport mode TC off, if its heavy traffic during an actual snow fall/storm w/ all the idiots on the road I leave it in 4HI in either "normal" or "weather" w/ TC on

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Per the Raptor assult instructions. It is best to do everything with the terrain modes over just turning the dial.

In most instance this may be true but not all IMO. Example, when its a bit wet out, the weather mode is entirely way too intrusive with the throttle response. It feels like I'm towing a 10k load behind me. Simply dialing in 4A gives me all the traction I need while still being able to get out of my own way.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree. That’s how I do it as well.

The brake bias thing is pretty interesting.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In most instance this may be true but not all IMO. Example, when its a bit wet out, the weather mode is entirely way too intrusive with the throttle response. It feels like I'm towing a 10k load behind me. Simply dialing in 4A gives me all the traction I need while still being able to get out of my own way.
Same as I feel. Hence why I replied in a little more detail

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind if you like to dial in your own setting is to set your drive mode first (normal/sport) THEN switch to 4A. Going to 4A first then selecting sport mode dumps you back in 2H which could end up leading to unintended consequences if you're flogging around thinking you have the traction of all 4 tires.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I felt the same way when I got my Gen2. "No way the truck can do better than amazing me!" And I drove in 4A a lot during the first month of winter.

Having been to Raptor Assault, but more importantly having driven in significant amounts of snow and ice covered roads and variable chunky melt through two Wyoming winters...now very few days go by in the winter that I don't switch to Weather as soon as I leave my driveway. Sure it's fun to wait until you've turned the 1st corner and swung the rear end around but other than that it just doesn't cut it in true winter conditions. I understand that most of the country does not experience these conditions with the regularity that we do, so maybe the need for control is not so prevalent.

You do have to learn to mash the accelerator a bit more to jump it out of the dead feeling, but at a 100 times per second or whatever the sampling rate is of the wheel slippage sensors, the programming is way more adept at driving the truck to the limits than little ol' ego-man me. When it can get traction, it does! Every day, pulling onto a busy, icy 2-lane highway where getting up to speed is important the truck exceeds my effort every time. Sad, but true. :)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I felt the same way when I got my Gen2. "No way the truck can do better than amazing me!" And I drove in 4A a lot during the first month of winter.

Having been to Raptor Assault, but more importantly having driven in significant amounts of snow and ice covered roads and variable chunky melt through two Wyoming winters...now very few days go by in the winter that I don't switch to Weather as soon as I leave my driveway. Sure it's fun to wait until you've turned the 1st corner and swung the rear end around but other than that it just doesn't cut it in true winter conditions. I understand that most of the country does not experience these conditions with the regularity that we do, so maybe the need for control is not so prevalent.

You do have to learn to mash the accelerator a bit more to jump it out of the dead feeling, but at a 100 times per second or whatever the sampling rate is of the wheel slippage sensors, the programming is way more adept at driving the truck to the limits than little ol' ego-man me. When it can get traction, it does! Every day, pulling onto a busy, icy 2-lane highway where getting up to speed is important the truck exceeds my effort every time. Sad, but true. :)

OR - if winter conditions are that bad as you say (which I don't doubt in WY) - you could run snows. I live in MA & am planning on running Nokian Hakkas in stock size this coming winter. The BFG's are decent in fresh powder & slush but as soon as things get packed down/icy & you get into really low temps the compromises of harder rubber compound & seriously wide footprint show up. I also found that if I was starting from a standstill in a rutted/snowy/icy spot I pretty much needed to take TC off or put in regular 4HI to get enough power going to power out of that spot whereas the "snow weather" mode and/or having the TC on would result in the power getting cut too early & too often to get me unstuck. Once your driving though if its VERY hairy conditions I'd agree - like winding back country unplowed ski country roads for instance.