Slight oil drip after 1st oil change on 2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So mine was leaking from the draining catch plastic deal... from the oil filter. Not from the oil plug.

The oil filter changing area has a special lil doohicky to catch oil and it falls nicely in a simple stream. But of course, its free flowing so when you're done you'll have some drip.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Raptor oil drain setup is a complete mess. Plus when they moved/redesigned the plug I am assuming they did not change the plate so oil backs up and spills everywhere. My 2003 F-150 had a perfectly shaped plastic catch guard to direct the oil down properly under the filter, and you could easily wipe it clean after, but with the Raptor it just goes everywhere.

Hopefully you are just seeing left over oil leaking that spilled out.

True. Fumoto really helps, but doesn’t do anything about the filter.

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two times I let the dealer change my oil they neglected to wipe down the tray under the oil filter that directs the oil through the hole in the skid plate so the next morning I had a quarter size drip of oil on the garage floor after it worked it’s way down the skid plate.

mark

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two times I let the dealer change my oil they neglected to wipe down the tray under the oil filter that directs the oil through the hole in the skid plate so the next morning I had a quarter size drip of oil on the garage floor after it worked it’s way down the skid plate.

mark

And that my friend is why you don't go to the dealer. But I have a lift in my garage, so....

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pull the skid plate(s) at every service to inspect everything visually. The drain tray under the oil filter has TWO exit paths. The one on the front that you see easily plus the rear outlet that drains just in front of the front diff. I don’t jack my truck at all to change oil & Filter, so the filter oil drains out the rear exit into my drain pan. When done you just wipe the tray down with a shop towel then poke it over into the rear exit and clean up the oil. I also use a spray cleaner to get the film off so it doesn’t attract dirt. I lube the skid plate bolts with spray dry lube to extend their life without attract more dirt. YMMV

KCRaptor643

Reaction score
Oli change is PITA with skid plate, that's why I install Stahlbus oil drain valve. I'm due for oil change soon, hope it will be cleaner change than previous.

OP
OP
D

Dirty Dog

Reaction score
For what's it's worth I've been monitoring this closely to find the leak and it still narrowed down to the filter mount. I changed out the filter to a fl500s and all seems fine. Everything that I see makes me think the ford performance filter is too large of diameter for my truck even though people are using them on raptors. Maybe I received a odd filter or 2020 oil filter housings are a bit smaller than the previous years. The gasket on the filter that I took off looked perfect. The difference in size and weight between the two is drastic. I would much rather use ford performance filters but the cheaper motorcraft doesn't leak so that's what I'll continue to use.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a small aluminum tray like the ones for the grease pan on barbeques and place it on top of the plastic drip pan.
No mess no wiping.

Hibthatsva good idea....do you put the tray on the skid plate ??thanks