Slight Oil Burning - Maybe Easy Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nospell

Reaction score
My truck was burning about 1/2 - 3/4qrt oil in 5000k miles. Reading a few posts here I came across the post linking to another forum where replacing the valve covers was discussed as a potential fix, but when I had it at the dealer they said that didn't apply to the Raptor....not sure if true, but they wouldn't address.

It's been 95deg++ here in Houston so I began to think that maybe some oil burning in the high heat is expected.

That said, I combed through a bunch of oil websites like BobsTheOilGuy and read a lot of turbo car owners going with a slightly more viscous oil during summer to fight oil thinning/burning and targeting the best quality base oils.

From this reading I switched from Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30, to a Castrol 5w40. If I recall correctly, 5w30 is about 8cp where 5w40 is about 12cp, so only a slight viscosity increase and most 5w40 is a better quality base oil with more anti-wear additive.

knock on wood, this seems to have done the trick. After about 2k of hot, spirited driving I haven't lost a millimeter (zero) on the dipstick....

So if anyone is having slight oil burning issues and this bothers you, I'd try a different weight oil. I may try a 0w40 next. I think this is what all the high HP German cars run.

I assume Ford recommends a 5w30 in about all their cars to save money during factory first fills by buying volume.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor has been burning a quart every 2,000ish miles of spirited daily driving. Recently finished an almost 9,000 mile road trip and I’ve burned less than a quart. My consumption is tied to the use of boost. For the gear heads on here they are probably thinking, duh!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk