Slight movement when in placing in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Anyone else have slight movement when placing vehicle in park and removing foot from brake? Never had this in GEN2, but GEN3 even on relatively level ground, when placing vehicle in park and removing foot from brake get a slight roll or movement. Scared the hell out of the better half last night as she was halfway out of the truck when I took my foot of the brake ... :oops:

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
I've noticed that on my 21 and 22. It caught me off guard at first like I had forgot to place the transmission in park but after a few times I don't pay attention to it anymore.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The parking pawl can get damaged or broken if the tow truck has to drag your truck a bit to get it loaded up when not in neutral. Supposedly a jeep owner last year had placed his Jeep in Park and left the vehicle and the jeep rolled off a cliff with a passenger still in.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parking pawl can get damaged or broken if the tow truck has to drag your truck a bit to get it loaded up when not in neutral. Supposedly a jeep owner last year had placed his Jeep in Park and left the vehicle and the jeep rolled off a cliff with a passenger still in.

Yes, Black Bear Pass. Fortunately the passenger (his girlfriend) is recovering as it was a pretty horrific tumble and she is lucky to be alive.

As part of a off-road recovery group and having formal recovery and rigging training, we always try to convey to those we mentor that the parking pawl should never be relied on to secure a vehicle in place. Especially on a slope! Never when using your winch! From the failures we have observed, the pawl is worn or fractured before the actual failure. That is my PSA for the day. :)

Different transmissions have different configurations and different spacing between the pawl seats so that is why engagement feels different in different vehicles.

Last edited:

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor gets pissed if I do not have the brake on firm enough to hold the truck well and I shift to park. I notice this as I have a RR tie I bump the tires up to for "home". It's a slight downhill into the tie so she won't roll but she still whines if I don't have my foot firm on the brake.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
My Raptor gets pissed if I do not have the brake on firm enough to hold the truck well and I shift to park. I notice this as I have a RR tie I bump the tires up to for "home". It's a slight downhill into the tie so she won't roll but she still whines if I don't have my foot firm on the brake.

Use more chloroform.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s so funny you posted this OP. I noticed this the other day as well. It’s very hard to notice for mine. Moves ever so slightly