Slight misfire or stumble at HWY speed

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum' started by JLAKE4130, Nov 8, 2018.

1. JLAKE4130

JLAKE4130 Member

Ive had my 2013 raptor with 40,000 miles for a month now. Completely stock. Ive noticed a very slight misfire or stumble when cruising on the hwy (usual above 60 mph). It is very slight and practically unnoticeable unless the road is smooth and free of cracks/bumps. When the cruise control is on, i feel a slight cut-out every 5 minutes or so. Again, it is so slight that it is well hidden by imperfections in the road. I've searched the inter-webs and found a couple similar cases on other raptor forums (no mention on this forum). I have no CEL and otherwise the raptor runs/drive awesome!
    I plan to do an oil change this weekend along with some preventative maintenance like the fuse 27 kit, replace the canister purge valve (not related).
    Any ideas of the cause? Or anyone experiencing the same thing? More of an annoyance then a drivability issue.

Thx in advance.

2. Sozzy12

Sozzy12 Full Access Member

Had a similar situation on an older f150. Turned out to be a coil going bad. Was misfiring periodically under load. Just not often enough to trigger the check engine light. Had to have the dealership run a stress test on the coils to determine which coil was bad. I suppose your issue could be the same or maybe a bad spark plugs and.

3. JLAKE4130

JLAKE4130 Member

I was thinking of changing plugs but at only 40,000 miles it seems early. I guess i can try and ride it out. If its a coil going bad then hopefully it will fail sooner then later and throw a CEL.

4. JLAKE4130

JLAKE4130 Member

After a drive this weekend im starting to think its a trans issue. Maybe the trans TQ converter (or a solenoid, etc) is locking / unlocking causing a slight stumble. If i keep the trans in 5 gear it doesn't do it, or i cant feel it. Again, it only happens at around 60mph or above when cruising. No missing, stumble etc under heavy throttle.
    Any thoughts to possible trans issue that would cause a very slight stumble??
    Thx again!

5. Sozzy12

Sozzy12 Full Access Member

Sounds exactly like what happened to me with a coil going bad, but not bad enough to trigger the check engine light... I actually took it to a mechanic who told me I needed a new transmission. Luckily I got a second opinion.

JLAKE4130 likes this.
  6. JLAKE4130

JLAKE4130 Member

Maybe i should buy 1 coil and swap it one by one each week until i notice a difference. At $100.00, if could save me a lot of hassle in the long run...