Slight door rattle, need to take door panel off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a every so slight rattle in my driver side door, I'd like to take the door covering off drivers side to look around. I see there is two screws on the bottom that probably need to come off. How easy is it to get the door panel off?

Is this opening a can of worms? I'd like to see what could be possibly causing this slight rattle which is driving me nuts when the music is off.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I have a every so slight rattle in my driver side door, I'd like to take the door covering off drivers side to look around. I see there is two screws on the bottom that probably need to come off. How easy is it to get the door panel off?

Is this opening a can of worms? I'd like to see what could be possibly causing this slight rattle which is driving me nuts when the music is off.
Check out a YouTube video. It’s fairly easy. You will need a pick to remove the plastic panel under the door handle that is hiding some screws. You will also need to disconnect a few plugs and the cable for the door handle.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What Dixonk said. Spend a little time on Youtube, there's several good videos on it. The only tricky part is removing the little panel behind the door pull, you need to buy a set of pick tools like below. $7 at Autozone.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
IIRC, 4 screws at the door handle area, 2 behind that panel @Oldfart mentions, plus 2 more. The 2 screws on the bottom, that go in at an angle, - I usually pull these first, put them on last.

From there, use a body panel tool to pop the clips loose from the bottom up. Pull upward once the top clips are free and the only things holding are ... 2(?) harness connections- speaker and door locks/window. Last connection has lots of room, it’s the door handle cable. Can be a chore to fully remove, but, you can put a towel over the door frame, and use a big zip tie to hold the panel while you work.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This link to a thread I made when I was working on my stereo should help you with the door. The little panel is easy if you know how to do it, a giant pain in the *** if you don't, especially without the 90 degree pick tool.

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't use the pick tools at all, what was I supposed to use them for? I got the door panel off, I couldn't see what could be making the noise besides the clips that the bolts go into, their was 4 of them. I just put electrical tape on them as they move ever so slightly and I figured that could be it but now that I think about it I'm not so sure.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
aftermarket speakers? If so, make sure to secure the wires. The harness was loose to get my speakers in, I ended up taping the excess down.