Skid plate Q&A — I have questions if you have answers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s the simplicity I want. I don’t have any issue taking down a skid plate. I’ll be installing these myself. But what I don’t have a lot of is extra time. I work in long blocks where my schedule demands 24/7. Even an extra 15 minutes is precious.

so if I can drop two small bolts and remove an access cover, I’m game.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That line-x looks clean and neat.

Otherwise..possibly a machine shop, take the skidpad to them and tell them make a replica in Aluminum

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a few votes of endorsement for RCI.... I placed an order for a complete set and bought their gas tank skid as well.

I don’t need the strength of steel or the rust it will eventually collect, powder coated or not, it’ll get chipped, and it’ll eventually rust. Line-X would probably do it, but I don’t have a line-x dealer within 75 miles. That’s not convenient to drop off and pick up.

aluminum will work well. One of the goals, keeping the bottom as smooth and continuous as I can to prevent snow pack.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed one of the Ronin drain valves and it's been great. Valve stays in the oil pan, and then when you need to change the oil you screw in a fitting that opens the valve. You can attach a clear hose to the fitting and drain right into a bucket/pan etc. As long as you can get to the valve with the plate on, it makes things really easy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H56TP4F/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good suggestion and I bought one. I’m tired of the stock drain plug leaking anyway. It’s constantly an issue.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say in my opinion linex is a waste of money if you're going to be using your truck offroading. Sharp rocks will cut and wear through it. Go to your local home depot or lowes and pick up a few cans of rust-oleum bed liner. It's cheap, it's black, it's super easy to use.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd say in my opinion linex is a waste of money if you're going to be using your truck offroading. Sharp rocks will cut and wear through it. Go to your local home depot or lowes and pick up a few cans of rust-oleum bed liner. It's cheap, it's black, it's super easy to use.

i agree. I have a few solid scratches/gouges on my front skid and can barely see them. If it where black, Well it would look like shit.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I elected to do bare aluminum skids from RCI. They will serve my purpose.

When I’m done my overhaul, which includes new turbos, manifolds, downpipes, intake tubes, etc... I’ll throw them on. Then I’ll refocus my attention on carbon fiber fender flares that are +1, hood scoop and vents and some other cosmetic things I have planned, like recovering the stock seats with premium leather.

I have plenty of items to keep me occupied this winter