siphoning gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's interesting because the parking area where I left my truck is on a hill road but would otherwise leave vehicles leaning towards the side. I parked my truck the same way tonight so I'll see tmrw if has the same effect.
Park on the otherside of the area you normally do if possible.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i tried to siphon gas out of rick@freedom motorsports gen 1 when he totaled it last year. no luck. (hey, he had a full tank when he wrecked, what can i say?) theres something blocking it where the filler tube meets the gas tank.

as per the op, i know that how the truck is parked will affect the fuel guage. if on an incline (nose up) you will show more fuel than you actually do. if parked on a decline (nose down) you will show less fuel than you actually have. takes a while for it to level out. on an incline, your fuel will drop substantially and you dte will drop. on a decline your dte will show less, but it wont adjust. it will just say you have 100 miles to empty for 10 miles before it changes to 99 miles to empty. what i have seen is once the truck sits for a while, (most likely when the truck sleeps) it will reset itself to the current position of the truck.
I tried to siphon just a little gas for my lawn mover, I used the plastic filler tube and a 5/16 tube but I had the same problem.
There is something blocking the tube right where the filler tube meets the tank.

Small Town Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How were you parked before you started driving. If you park on a slope, the gauge will over/under read for the first 10 or 15 minutes of your drive then readjust. This happens EVERTImE at my cottage, and I've seen variances upwards of 80-100 kms. Completely normal if you don't park on level ground.

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is a glitch in the computer/sensor. Keep an eye on it.

Looks like you can siphon it out but it's a PITA.

The guy at your Ford dealership is probably the same guying saying he only made $50 from selling you the vehicle at such a great deal! LMAO

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are just as easy as any other modern vehicle to siphon gas from. You can easily bypass the anti-siphon valve with the funnel they supply (as shown above) or do the same thing by sticking a screwdriver in there and pushing the metal tab to the side. Due to the ethanol in fuel now I'll sometimes siphon my own gas out of vehicles and transfer to others if they start to sit for a long time. I do wish Ford would put a locking fuel door on these trucks as many other automakers do now. I'm honestly more concerned about someone putting something in my tank to vandalize the truck than getting fuel stolen though.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I been searching for a locking gas cap since day one when I got my 2017 Raptor, no luck at all. I still remember the gas shortage back in the 70's when everyone and the mother's out stealing gas. If anyone knows of a locking gas cap that is available for the Raptor let me know.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I been searching for a locking gas cap since day one when I got my 2017 Raptor, no luck at all. I still remember the gas shortage back in the 70's when everyone and the mother's out stealing gas. If anyone knows of a locking gas cap that is available for the Raptor let me know.
I got mine from Ford, right at that parts counter.