Silent the Cam phaser rattle!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back story on my truck: I went in to the dealer at 76,000 miles and at 89,000 and had the reprogram done on the cam phasers, and the noise came back with a vengeance at a 102k. Buy 107,000 it was a loud rattle on every start up with as is little as 15 minutes in between. It no longer need a coldstart to rattle. It was very loud and had grown from 1 second to lasting 3 seconds before it would go away.

Well I thought I would try an oil additive before I had to pay for the repair out of pocket.
I worked! It doesn’t rattle at all between stops and it has a very slight rattle after 12 hours of sitting. Maybe a 1/2 second. I only used one bottle and it calls for 1 qt for every 4 qt of oil needed. So I could still add 1/2 a quart if I drain some old oil first. My truck seems to use 7/8 of a quart of oil every 5000-6000 miles and I was almost a quart low when I added the Lucas on Tuesday. I was due an oil change, so I thought what the heck I’ll give this stuff a try before I go with a heavier weight oil.
Thought I would share this (new to me) information.

Attachments

• 2BB09EA9-DCAD-4281-B118-226E0E08B54E.jpeg
    2BB09EA9-DCAD-4281-B118-226E0E08B54E.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 30

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would be careful about going to a heavier weight oil, I'm by no means an engine expert, probably the worst, lol, but I do know engine bearing clearances are critical for lubrication, too thick of an oil can be dangerous. I'm just saying to maybe consult an expert on these engines for some long term advice.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be careful about going to a heavier weight oil, I'm by no means an engine expert, probably the worst, lol, but I do know engine bearing clearances are critical for lubrication, too thick of an oil can be dangerous. I'm just saying to maybe consult an expert on these engines for some long term advice.
I’m not going to make it to 200k with burning oil at 107k already… I just can’t stand the noise anymore. I was to the point of trading in before Christmas…
Most years, the time to buy a new truck, is in January here in east Texas. So I just need my 18 to make it a few more weeks.

Back in the 80s and 90s, high mileage was at 90k so the high mileage oil was normally put in from then on. Though here in 2021 I don’t think it changed too much. High mileage is 100k.
Though I’m in no position to debate oil. But the point of the thread was if you want a quieter start up, check out this oil additive.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not going to make it to 200k with burning oil at 107k already… I just can’t stand the noise anymore. I was to the point of trading in before Christmas…
Most years, the time to buy a new truck, is in January here in east Texas. So I just need my 18 to make it a few more weeks.

Back in the 80s and 90s, high mileage was at 90k so the high mileage oil was normally put in from then on. Though here in 2021 I don’t think it changed too much. High mileage is 100k.
Though I’m in no position to debate oil. But the point of the thread was if you want a quieter start up, check out this oil additive.
I hear ya loud and clear, anything to stop the noise! Glad it worked for you. You just made it sound like you were going to add thicker oil next oil change and I didn’t want you to make things worse is all, I’m no expert so sounds like you’ve got it handled.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear ya loud and clear, anything to stop the noise! Glad it worked for you. You just made it sound like you were going to add thicker oil next oil change and I didn’t want you to make things worse is all, I’m no expert so sounds like you’ve got it handled.
Update you (if you care) and the thread on the oil loss. No oil loss anymore between oil changes. Still adding a qt of Lucas when I change the oil. At 113k now and just changed the plugs.