Significant road and suspension noise plus rougher suspension performance after hauling a trailer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CraigATX

Reaction score
Greetings - I used my 2019 gen 2 to haul about 5k pounds of cargo from Texas to Colorado. Everything seemed to perform fine after the trip. I then hauled an empty IBC tote on the utility trailer to fill up water...it weighed a few hundred pounds empty but about 2200lbs once filled plus 2000lb trailer weight. The tote was mostly over the trailer's twin axles, but I'd say 1/4 of it was a little rearward. (I knew better, but listened to the lecture from my father about the truck handling it fine as he was loading it.) Once the tote was full of water it definitely lifted my suspension in the rear and steered noticeably different.

Since then I've been noticing more road noise that sounds like some type of harmonic thing with the tires, but I've also heard clunks/metal sounds from the passenger rear suspension and noticed that the truck suspension doesn't absorb the bumps like it usually does... overall it handles a lot worse than it used to. Doesn't feel planted or as "sporty", but more like a bouncy work truck.

Any ideas on what I could look for under the vehicle for potential damage? I have no idea what a trailer with too much weight in the back will do to a truck's suspension, I just know you're supposed to keep the weight over the axles or a little in front. It could also be the rougher country/dirt roads that I'm on out here, but I feel like it has something to do with the trailer. I'm out in the middle of nowhere colorado now with limited access to dealers. There might be one 1.5-2 hours away.

Thanks for reading! Any help or ideas are welcome!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
Probably flattened the leaf springs and depending on mileage, might need to get the shocks rebuilt. Great time to upgrade to Deavers
Thanks! Is there an easy way to visually tell if the leaf springs are flattened? Mileage is only 16,000 miles. My main concern is something catastrophic is going on with the vehicle and driving it is potentially making it worse. I rely on it 100% out here and if it doesn't run, I'm pretty screwed without access to much.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Greetings - I used my 2019 gen 2 to haul about 5k pounds of cargo from Texas to Colorado. Everything seemed to perform fine after the trip. I then hauled an empty IBC tote on the utility trailer to fill up water...it weighed a few hundred pounds empty but about 2200lbs once filled plus 2000lb trailer weight. The tote was mostly over the trailer's twin axles, but I'd say 1/4 of it was a little rearward. (I knew better, but listened to the lecture from my father about the truck handling it fine as he was loading it.) Once the tote was full of water it definitely lifted my suspension in the rear and steered noticeably different.

Since then I've been noticing more road noise that sounds like some type of harmonic thing with the tires, but I've also heard clunks/metal sounds from the passenger rear suspension and noticed that the truck suspension doesn't absorb the bumps like it usually does... overall it handles a lot worse than it used to. Doesn't feel planted or as "sporty", but more like a bouncy work truck.

Any ideas on what I could look for under the vehicle for potential damage? I have no idea what a trailer with too much weight in the back will do to a truck's suspension, I just know you're supposed to keep the weight over the axles or a little in front. It could also be the rougher country/dirt roads that I'm on out here, but I feel like it has something to do with the trailer. I'm out in the middle of nowhere colorado now with limited access to dealers. There might be one 1.5-2 hours away.

Thanks for reading! Any help or ideas are welcome!

Did your dad secretly inflate your rear tires to 80 psi when you weren't looking?

I would check pressure and rotate tires.

OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
X2

If you are going to continue towing that weight, I would definitely suggest Deavers in the rear. Probably some bags and a WDH as well.
Thanks! Is there damage that can be done to the vehicle without the deavers, or is it more about ride quality? I used a WDH on the trip from Texas to Colorado. Didn't have it on for the IBC tote, but will next time.

OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
Did your dad secretly inflate your rear tires to 80 psi when you weren't looking?

I would check pressure and rotate tires.
lol Thanks! I doubt it as he's pretty elderly and I would be the one airing them up. I did have all service work done by the dealer 2 days before the trip, including rotation and alignment. Dealer said 38PSI when towing... guessing they might not know what they're talking about? I've maintained 38 the entire time. I did notice the tire states 45PSI for the max? Where does 80psi come from or were you being sarcastic?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Thanks! Is there damage that can be done to the vehicle without the deavers, or is it more about ride quality? I used a WDH on the trip from Texas to Colorado. Didn't have it on for the IBC tote, but will next time.

Yes, you can damage the suspension while towing. A lot of people here tow with their Raptor and don't have problems. Just not sure how they are set up.

I only tow a 19' ski boat with the Gen 2. But I picked up another truck for truck stuff.

SuperSafety

Reaction score
Craig,

I have a similar situation with clunking after towing about 2500 lbs on my 2019. Icons in the rear and Geisers in the front. Happened about 10k miles ago and still running fine. I've ordered parts to try and eliminate the clunk, but life happened and I haven't had time to put them in. lol.

Check the front leaf spring pockets to see if there is lateral movement. That's where my clunk is coming from. Which I believe to be a bushing issue.

DON'T BUY NEW SHOCKS. They're expensive and didn't eliminate the clunk. I did have time to burn the cash. :flame:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
lol Thanks! I doubt it as he's pretty elderly and I would be the one airing them up. I did have all service work done by the dealer 2 days before the trip, including rotation and alignment. Dealer said 38PSI when towing... guessing they might not know what they're talking about? I've maintained 38 the entire time. I did notice the tire states 45PSI for the max? Where does 80psi come from or were you being sarcastic?

I was being somewhat sarcastic. 80psi used to be max psi for towing when I used 3/4 tons and 1 ton trucks. You never know about old guys though. :)

If you have forscan, you might reset the shock ride height, perhaps the springs settled enough to make the computer think the truck is closer to bottoming out or something. You can search here for how to do it.