Significant road and suspension noise plus rougher suspension performance after hauling a trailer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
Yes, you can damage the suspension while towing. A lot of people here tow with their Raptor and don't have problems. Just not sure how they are set up.

I only tow a 19' ski boat with the Gen 2. But I picked up another truck for truck stuff.
Thanks! Yeah, I didn't want to use the raptor for a work truck, but that's all we had in our current situation. Would've preferred a diesel for this stuff, but couldn't find/afford them at the time.

I had to tow a load tonight for about 2 hours... maybe 1000lbs at most plus 2000lb trailer. The truck seemed to perform fine, but I definitely notice the harmonic/road noise that increases or decreases with speed. Something definitely out of whack, but at least we didn't die in the canyon with the load. :)

OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
Craig,

I have a similar situation with clunking after towing about 2500 lbs on my 2019. Icons in the rear and Geisers in the front. Happened about 10k miles ago and still running fine. I've ordered parts to try and eliminate the clunk, but life happened and I haven't had time to put them in. lol.

Check the front leaf spring pockets to see if there is lateral movement. That's where my clunk is coming from. Which I believe to be a bushing issue.

DON'T BUY NEW SHOCKS. They're expensive and didn't eliminate the clunk. I did have time to burn the cash. :flame:

Thanks! That's not encouraging about the clunking continuing even after buying new parts. :( But encouraging that everything running fine despite the noise. I'll check the pocket to see if there is play. Sorry you burned your cash - that's what I hope to avoid as I have found myself without much lately. ;)

Found out the "neighbor" is an off road guy and has a lift in his barn/shop. He said he might be able to take a look this weekend on the lift as he is pretty mechanically inclined and breaks stuff off roading all of the time, apparently. Crossing fingers!

OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
I was being somewhat sarcastic. 80psi used to be max psi for towing when I used 3/4 tons and 1 ton trucks. You never know about old guys though. :)

If you have forscan, you might reset the shock ride height, perhaps the springs settled enough to make the computer think the truck is closer to bottoming out or something. You can search here for how to do it.
Thanks! I don't have forscan, but might have to get it soon. Right now I just need the truck to keep working as I'm trying to beat winter's arrival with things out here. I might have to settle for a long drive to the dealer if I can get an appointment.