Shutter removal and CEl, loss of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
Curious if any of the guys with a bigger IC, aftermarket bumper or just removed shutters have seen this. It has happen to me twice now in about 6-7 months. Both times on highway with cruise control set 75-80mph. First time truck was under slight load and heard what sounded the like the bov. All boost was gone, wrench shows up on dash and truck has no power. I was able to drive it slowly 55mph to where I was going. Seems like the wastegate is just staying open. Codes were U0285 and U0284 both about shutters. Clear the codes restart truck and all is fine. Fast forward 6-7 months to this weekend and same thing. On the highway with cruise set and this time going on a slight downhill so no BOV or boost to dump but wrench on the dash and loss of power. Since I knew what this was from last time I was able to down shift and keep the truck going at normal highway speeds. Once I get to a good point to stop I do the same thing. Clear codes and restart and all is fine. Just seems odd that I have not had shutters or oem IC since the truck was new (25k miles and 3.5yrs) and now it has decided it may be an issue. Any insight or fellow members seen this happen?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think there are some who have physically removed the shutters but left the motor in place but ... I wasn’t aware the CAC shutter malfunction would throw the wrench/limp mode. maybe this isn’t the cause, but a symptom.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if you leave the shutter motor in you still get the code. The shutter motor will just keep spinning. I tried it with and without. That being said you have to scan for that code. I think you have a possible random waste gate or BOV problem. I would think a leak would be obvious.

OP
OP
B

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good thought on the leak but truck makes full boost and no issues found. Just on these two occasions and only thing that I can say was the same was both times I had cruise control on. Seems like if we had a leak or faulty BOV it would happen when WOT under full load running up the gears vs just sitting in 10th gear with no load. Who knows its not a big deal and temps and everything else never changes, just a random thing I was curious if anyone else had seen.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Even if you leave the shutter motor in you still get the code. The shutter motor will just keep spinning. I tried it with and without. That being said you have to scan for that code. I think you have a possible random waste gate or BOV problem. I would think a leak would be obvious.

aha! I think for the stock location I/C folks, taking the individual shutters out bypasses that problem.

Is the truck tuned?

If there’s no other obvious issue, maybe get the shutter assy back, reconnect the motor and give it the range of motion back. There’s surely a way to rig up a similar start / stop range.

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aha! I think for the stock location I/C folks, taking the individual shutters out bypasses that problem.

Is the truck tuned?

If there’s no other obvious issue, maybe get the shutter assy back, reconnect the motor and give it the range of motion back. There’s surely a way to rig up a similar start / stop range.
That is what I did...lol..