Shudder / vibration while stopped in drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that, when stopped in Drive, you can feel a slight shudder from the engine, mainly through the seat? It goes away if I shift to Park or Neutral, or increase RPMs even slightly with my left foot on the brake. Idle shows 500 - 600 RPM on the dash at this point.

It's not really a "rough idle", just a little more vibration than I'd expect to feel in an expensive new car. I've tried turning off the AC and Pro Power inverter, no change. It's so minor I'd feel a little silly complaining to the dealer about it, but it annoys me every time I stop at a light. My 2019 Gen2 didn't do this.

There is another thread for this in the engine discussion forum but the forum is dead otherwise, not sure who else is looking in there.

RaptorCDH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that, when stopped in Drive, you can feel a slight shudder from the engine, mainly through the seat? It goes away if I shift to Park or Neutral, or increase RPMs even slightly with my left foot on the brake. Idle shows 500 - 600 RPM on the dash at this point.

It's not really a "rough idle", just a little more vibration than I'd expect to feel in an expensive new car. I've tried turning off the AC and Pro Power inverter, no change. It's so minor I'd feel a little silly complaining to the dealer about it, but it annoys me every time I stop at a light. My 2019 Gen2 didn't do this.

There is another thread for this in the engine discussion forum but the forum is dead otherwise, not sure who else is looking in there.
Mine does the same thing …as you described. So minor that I am taking a wait and see approach. My gen2 has the cam phaser reprogram and developed a slight shudder that needed a second program flash to address. So minor but it does do it with regularity.
Cheers

Reaction score
Any updates here? I just picked up Raptor last week and this has been noticeable. It’s strange and a bit annoying. I’ve had a lot of cars but never had one do this. Is it going away with a little more break in??

JCSRaptor

Reaction score
Your not alone. I have a 2019 with 34k on it. I have the same issue. While in Drive, stopped at light, foot on the brake, AC on…there is a perceptible shudder. Not quite a rough idle. It’s smooth shudder smooth shudder smooth shudder. Feel it in the seat mostly. Rpm’s on the dash are holding pretty tight 500-550 ( my best estimate). Just enough to be annoying. I am beginning to gather this is “normal” or shall I say not “atypical.”

JCSRaptor

Reaction score
Has anyone tried increasing rpm’s at idle by 100-150 to see if this is enough to overcome the shudder when under load? Trying to connect the dots. If the shudder is due to AC load as others have suggested, would the extra rpm’s resolve or just make it worse? I have been working with Goosetune for other reasons but he can set rpm’s higher. Winfield was upfront saying everytime in 100% of the cases where he increase rpm’s for client, the client asked to bring the rpm’s back to stock. Guess I am bull headed and may execute the experiment and report back.

2010 RAPTOR SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My Gen 3 does the same thing as you described word for word.

Ryan33

Reaction score
I have a Gen 3 with 600 miles on it. Mine is doing the same thing in drive while stopped at a light/stop sign. Engine is idling at 500 RPM. Has anyone talked to Ford or their respective dealership to see what the deal is?