Shudder / vibration while stopped in drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an '18 and '20 that "shuddered" at the first stop light in the morning and rarely at other times. '20 still does it after cam phaser re-program and repair (63k miles), '18 cam phasers replaced twice. Not unusual, doesn't hurt anything except when the wife is with me and asks me "What was that?" and I'd say "normal". She finally stopped asking me.. It's an included Raptor feature.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has been doing it also and I was thinking about changing out the spark plugs to see if it went away. Might not bother now that I am reading other members are having issues also. Really annoying since my jeep with 227k miles on it was super smooth at a traffic light and my brand new $80k truck shakes.

4everHP

Reaction score
I think this is just an ecoboost thing. My wife's 3.5 expedition does it, my friends 3.5 explorer does it, my '22 Raptor does it.

I will say, I now have a little over 5k miles on the Raptor and it doesn't seem to do it as much. Maybe I've just gotten use to it...

mustlistenfc

Reaction score
I have a same problem. it only happens when gears is D or R with idle. when I switch to P or N during the stop on the red light, the vibration is gone away.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing on the occasion. I tend to believe its just RPM related, the engine is hitting a harmonic somewhere. If the ECU was updated to raise the RPM probably 100RPM, it probably wouldn't happen.

mustlistenfc

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing on the occasion. I tend to believe its just RPM related, the engine is hitting a harmonic somewhere. If the ECU was updated to raise the RPM probably 100RPM, it probably wouldn't happen.
what is your idle rpm when you D mode and P mode? I have 600rpm with D and 700rpm with P. also do you have auto start stop?

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what is your idle rpm when you D mode and P mode? I have 600rpm with D and 700rpm with P. also do you have auto start stop?
I'm at exactly those numbers. Sometimes I can see 500rpm's, but again this is an intermittent issue which in my experience points to ignition coil, spark plug or vacuum leak.

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this, and not sure it's any of those things. It seems to aim somewhere right around 500-600, and there just seems to be a vibration at that RPM. If it were a coil or ignition problem, pretty sure it'd pick up a misfire (or an O2 condition) and it doesn't seem to do that.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idle in drive is .5-.6, so I"m assuming its idling right around 590-600 RPM. In park its solidly at .6, which makes sense because the trans isn't dragging down on it.

No auto start stop