GEN 2 Should order the front axle with TORSEN® Differential $500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

64-bit

Reaction score
Im debating if I should order the "4.10 front axle with TORSEN® Differential $500" which could be a double sword:

If I don't, resale value may decrease specially for the hard core raptor guys

If I do, $500 dollars later I could have reliability issue due the new technology, and remember that the truck has only 36K miles warranty

My dealer told me that not a single Raptor buyer have asked about that option, but the 802a package already includes it, which is a 10K option with taxes, what a rip-off!!!

What are your thoughts?

OP
OP

64-bit

Reaction score
you have a low IQ

I'm not a truck guy, also own a 2016 M3.

As far as low IQ, I do speak 3 language and I provide IT solutions for large corporations, stop and think a little bit about your answer.

That is why I'm here, asking for those who knows about it, as my dealer is basically clueless.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should note that the Torsen diff is not a new technology... compared to a lot of other differential designs it certainly hasn't been around as long, but it has 20+ years of on-road history.

A bit about how Torsen diffs in general operate: https://youtu.be/x40WGUtdaLI?t=6m6s

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
its one of the main reasons i went for a later year, scored my 2013 and made sure it was included:)

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a truck guy, also own a 2016 M3.

As far as low IQ, I do speak 3 language and I provide IT solutions for large corporations, stop and think a little bit about your answer.

That is why I'm here, asking for those who knows about it, as my dealer is basically clueless.

You're new here, so a piece advice. Just don't engage that guy at all. You'll be all the better for it. You will receive absolutely zero helpful information.

bumwhine

Reaction score
Nothing to worry about with a Torsen differential, it's an all-gear design and these have been used in tons of applications over the last 35 years.

Worth the $500.

*Unless you're going to complain about the added traction being torque steer (which it isn't) and act like an open differential is better somehow.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about with a Torsen differential, it's an all-gear design and these have been used in tons of applications over the last 35 years.

Worth the $500.

*Unless you're going to complain about the added traction being torque steer (which it isn't) and act like an open differential is better somehow.

It isn't added traction that causes the torque steer, but the diff design putting more power to the slower turning wheel (the inside wheel). This characteristic gives Torsen equipped vehicles a firm centerning feel when driven in 4A. Something that is not felt in open diffs in typical AWD designs.