Should I wait for a 22’

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjm047

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that once the Raptor R is released the Ecoboost raptors will not be the "hot item" anymore and can be had for at or below MSRP. So I'm planning on waiting for the R to be released before ordering an Ecoboost and that craziness calms down
I think the R will have some effect on price but not as much as you predict. It’ll be a one hundred thousand dollar truck, that’s a big leap up from 80K. To some extent it’ll drop the prices on ecoboosts, but I think it’ll be minimal.

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford pushed off delivery of a couple million lbs of my company’s metal - not reneging, just delaying delivery- it may be anecdotal but I was personally in Dearborn couple months ago & certainly seemed like they’re having production/supply chain issues on a large scale.
It sounds like things just got much worse with the fire last month at Renesas. From what I understand they are the primary chip supplier in Asia that supplies all of the domestic automakers. Ford still has thousands of trucks parked at Kentucky Speedway that are finished and awaiting installation of the chips. I'd be surprised if there is a 2021 Raptor at this point. My bet is that production won't start until Sept/Oct (if even by then) and they will all be 2022 models.

Last edited:

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like things just got much worse with the fire last month at Renesas. From what I understand they are the primary chip supplier in Asia that supplies all of the domestic automakers. Ford still has thousands of trucks parked at Kentucky Speedway that are finished and awaiting installation of the chips. I'd be surprised if there is a 2021 Raptor at this point. My bet is that production won't start until Sept/Oct (if even by then) and they will all be 2022 models.
What makes you think Ford won't prioritize Raptors - it's their halo truck and relatively low numbers, feels like they would want to get them out. I think we'll see Raptors by end of this summer.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can think of two reasons why Raptors might not get priority. First they are not fleet vehicles. There are surely some big fleet orders that Ford doesn't want to delay, only the customer to switch to Ram or Chevy. Sure, some the Raptor owners may do the same, but will likely be a bit more patient.

Second, the Bronco customers have been waiting a lot longer, and think Ford needs to get those on the road more than they need to get Raptors on the road.
I'm not saying that Raptors are not important, or that they won't possibly get chips before every fleet or Bronco vehicle is made. I just think they cost of delaying the Raptor could be a lot less than delaying many of the other models.

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, there are already so many orders ahead of them already and the Bronco would be more important to Ford. There are so many trucks sitting there you can supposedly see them from space. This latest fire at their main source sealed the deal IMO.

bpcfi

Reaction score
Why wait for a 22 when it probably cost you only $5000 a year to drive the old one. Let’s say u buy it for 80k and trade it back in for 75. Not a bad deal

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have no problem driving my Gen 2 and still loving it. Can just sit back and listen to all the delays, shortages, ADM’s and not so good dealers. Certainly no rush to jump into this mess. For the guys needing or wanting to get into a Raptor period it does suck at the moment. But sooner or later it will happen.