Should I wait for a 22’

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DFWRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all -
First time pickup/Raptor/new car buyer here.
Wondering if I should suck it up and wait 3-4 months and buy a 22 model year. I feel like by the time I would get the truck delivered it could be August! Also could get some fixes on the usual “first year of a new auto problems”
What’s everyone’s thought?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello all -
First time pickup/Raptor/new car buyer here.
Wondering if I should suck it up and wait 3-4 months and buy a 22 model year. I feel like by the time I would get the truck delivered it could be August! Also could get some fixes on the usual “first year of a new auto problems”
What’s everyone’s thought?
Depends on how soon you need a new ride. Trucks built in the first half half '22 will be in the first year of production ... there's nothing magic about the model year being different. I'd say just do it now or wait for two more years. That's a long time if you need something soon.

RRick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am choosing not to wait. 2021 F150s have been out for a while. New on the Raptor is the rear suspension, coils and live shocks, 37” tires, same engine with higher compression, active exhaust. Nothing that makes me say I need to wait, I looked at upgrading my 2019 with a quality 37”suspension and exhaust, not to mention the other things will cost more than to upgrade.

KCHawkeye02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am choosing not to wait. 2021 F150s have been out for a while. New on the Raptor is the rear suspension, coils and live shocks, 37” tires, same engine with higher compression, active exhaust. Nothing that makes me say I need to wait, I looked at upgrading my 2019 with a quality 37”suspension and exhaust, not to mention the other things will cost more than to upgrade.

Thats what I am thinking as well. and as the other poster said, get it now, or wait 2 years for "fixes" and under MSRP. But in 2 years, there could be another reason to wait until Gen 4, or to wait and see how the Raptor R pricing and performance looks, etc. The waiting game will never end.

Tm2525ai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are almost certainly going to be `22 anyway, won't even be until almost September until the first arrive.

Raptorius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like by the time I would get the truck delivered it could be August!
No one's getting a 2021 Raptor by August. The first ones will be showing up this Fall (at the earliest), and realistically, they should be called 2022.
Also could get some fixes on the usual “first year of a new auto problems”
"First year" is 2022. You'd have to be waiting until 2023 for the "first year" problems to be resolved.

I was all in on getting a 2021 when they first came out. However, I've had to wait so long and there is so much uncertainty that I'm no longer feeling the buzz to get one right away. I might even wait to see the specs and pricing of the Raptor R before making a decision. If the R is not a stupid price, it might be worth waiting a little longer for it.

krww06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one's getting a 2021 Raptor by August. The first ones will be showing up this Fall (at the earliest), and realistically, they should be called 2022.

"First year" is 2022. You'd have to be waiting until 2023 for the "first year" problems to be resolved.

I was all in on getting a 2021 when they first came out. However, I've had to wait so long and there is so much uncertainty that I'm no longer feeling the buzz to get one right away. I might even wait to see the specs and pricing of the Raptor R before making a decision. If the R is not a stupid price, it might be worth waiting a little longer for it.
Personally, I'd wait for the '23 and not mess with all this ADP stuff on the '22 and hopefully for dealers to come down a little off MSRP in '23. As Raptorius said, waiting for the pricing and the release of the "R" might also be worthwhile. Personally, if the "R" isn't an arm and a leg (not likely) I'll order it. Otherwise, I'll pass altogether on the Gen3 and stick with my Gen1.

Jmilleraz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the Same boat, but really need a new truck end of summer early fall. I think I’m going to order a gen 3 whenever we can actually do that.
I would be perfectly happy with a nice clean used gen 2 and waiting a few years for the r, but the damn price of used gen 2s are absurd. I found a stock 2019 yesterday listed for $82k…get outta here